Author Topic: What Makes You Feel Connected?  (Read 628 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
What Makes You Feel Connected?
« on: Friday 01 October 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
This question has been nagging at me for a while now, 'what makes us feel connected'? The answer will be different for all of us, is it a sense of finding out who you are by connecting with your ancestors? Is it about joining a wider community and sharing experiences and stories, what makes us strive for these connections, do we want to be part of something bigger?

Love to hear your thoughts.

​​​​​​​https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2021/10/01/feeling-connected/
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Makes You Feel Connected?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 October 21 16:52 BST (UK) »
My answer goes back to my childhood.  I was about 5 or 6 years old walking to school trying to work out a problem that had arisen.   I always knew what my parents thought and what they expected of me and because I knew what they thought I knew what I expected of them.   My little brother was a year and a half younger than me and I always knew what we were discussing even though adults would think it was baby babble.

That particular morning I was trying to fathom out why one of my parents had been annoyed with me when I always thought we were "in tune" with each other.    At that age I worked out that I had always believed all our family's minds were akin to the spider's gossamer web of various strands interconnected with each other, along which all thoughts and messages were carried.  After struggling to make sense of why I had digressed from family rules, I was terrified that it had become obvious we were not invisibly connected and I was an individual standing all alone in the world and I tried to be a "big girl" and not cry.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 October 21 17:07 BST (UK) »
Good question.

For me it was the loving relationship I had with my nan. Great story teller of her kin and her mother who bore 19 children (not all survived). Her mother married at 16.  My nan had passed before I became interested in FH but her stories became my goal when I did.  When I found them all through census, BMD, over time, I looked skyward and said you where right nan! I found them all. 

This is what started me, also my dad who wanted too but never did. So I did it for him also.

There are some that have your heart and you connect to, even though you cannot explain why, other than that they are family. Strange, but you kinda know in your DNA, if that makes sense.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Gibbons, Mordecai/Mort, Squire, Thomas, David/Davies, Joseph, Bowen, Lewis, Rees, Williams, Jones, Llewellyn, Morgan - Glam
Lewis - Ystradgynlias Breckonshire
Gibbons, Timbrell, Beale, Ludlow - Glos/Wilts
Davies, Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd, Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Shoemac, Squire, Keirle, Small - Somerset
Berry, Baggot, Lee, Clayton - Lancs
Baggot, Hurley, Keaveny, Shiel, Flynn - Ireland
Yelland, Bray, Trethewey  - Cornwall

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 October 21 11:58 BST (UK) »
My answer goes back to my childhood.  I was about 5 or 6 years old walking to school trying to work out a problem that had arisen.   I always knew what my parents thought and what they expected of me and because I knew what they thought I knew what I expected of them.   My little brother was a year and a half younger than me and I always knew what we were discussing even though adults would think it was baby babble.

That particular morning I was trying to fathom out why one of my parents had been annoyed with me when I always thought we were "in tune" with each other.    At that age I worked out that I had always believed all our family's minds were akin to the spider's gossamer web of various strands interconnected with each other, along which all thoughts and messages were carried.  After struggling to make sense of why I had digressed from family rules, I was terrified that it had become obvious we were not invisibly connected and I was an individual standing all alone in the world and I tried to be a "big girl" and not cry.

Sometimes growing up comes far too quickly

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 October 21 12:00 BST (UK) »
It makes absolute sense Cas, we make connections without realising sometimes, the bond between family members cannot always be explained, it goes far deeper than being just family.

Good question.

For me it was the loving relationship I had with my nan. Great story teller of her kin and her mother who bore 19 children (not all survived). Her mother married at 16.  My nan had passed before I became interested in FH but her stories became my goal when I did.  When I found them all through census, BMD, over time, I looked skyward and said you where right nan! I found them all. 

This is what started me, also my dad who wanted too but never did. So I did it for him also.

There are some that have your heart and you connect to, even though you cannot explain why, other than that they are family. Strange, but you kinda know in your DNA, if that makes sense.

Cas

Offline chrissiecruiser

• RootsChat Member
  • Dora Berg (12/5/1893-8/10/1916)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 October 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
For me......it was seeing a photo of my Great Aunt a year or so before she was killed in a car crash at Belair, Adelaide, South Australia, aged 19.

I was looking at a young ME!!!

Of course I never met her but felt such a kinship instantly.

From then onwards I persued the family and am back to the 1500's in Sweden.
Just Love It!
🥰
PS it is her pic above
Berg - Uppsala, Sweden
Bissett - Scotland
Butler - Yorkshire
Butt - Dorset
Butterworth - Yorkshire
Cave - Somerset
Darby - Somerset
Grierson - Scotland
Kruger/Krueger - Prussia, Germany
Lecher - Cottbus, Brandenburg, Germany
Levick - Nottinghamshire, UK
Molde - Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark/Germany
Oram - Wiltshire & Somerset, UK
Randell - Devon, UK
Savren - Dorset, UK
Weilbach - Denmark & South Africa
Williams - Cornwall, UK

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 October 21 21:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sharing that Chrissie and a beautiful picture, she must hold a special place in your heart.

Offline ShootingStar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 October 21 17:15 BST (UK) »
I feel a weird kinship of sorts with my biological dad, but I’ve literally only read a description of him in my adoption records. We have/had similar taste in music, hobbies and I grew up to find men who dressed like him attractive… though I have no memory of him as a person.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 October 21 17:36 BST (UK) »
I feel a weird kinship of sorts with my biological dad, but I’ve literally only read a description of him in my adoption records. We have/had similar taste in music, hobbies and I grew up to find men who dressed like him attractive… though I have no memory of him as a person.

Some things you just can explain it's something bigger than we can work out. Call it sixth sense if you like.