Author Topic: FamilySearch new format  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Bristol20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: FamilySearch new format
« Reply #45 on: Monday 15 November 21 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Just chiming in to ditto the criticisms of the New and Improved FS site.  Ironically, I think this reflects the difference in coding by newer or younger folks who simply don't prioritize the level of detail potentially needed for genealogical searching.  The newer approach seems to be putting emphasis on sharing photos/images and family 'stories'. 

While I appreciate the fact that the Mormon Church makes data widely available and I've found extremely useful books and pamphlets in the library, I usually only consult it after striking out on Ancestry or the Internet Archive (only searching US records), etc.  I'm only interested in facts and hard data.  I also don't necessarily want to take my time to point out other's errors on an individual's profile.
Ellyette, Eleyett, Ellyett, etc.
Wood (Ottiwell)
Jackson (Ephraim)
Browne, James, William, Richard
Pusey
Fries
Fishpaw
Williams, James
Smith Adam

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 15 November 21 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I must have got it early, sometimes I'd login and get the 'New Improved Version' and sometimes the 'Old Version' and soon as the New Version appeared I would groan, and the old version would be a 'Yippee' and get loads of research done  ;D ;D ;D

Anyone ever had the misfortune to look at Records from Preston, Lancashire (1851) whole families are separate entries! It was bad enough previously trying to find the complete family now just impossible!

And another oddity think its the 1871 Census, Entries I have found previously no longer there! Found one or two by putting EVERY family member in, its as though some are indexed and a lot of have been unconnected.

I've taken up using FreeCen much more but not available for every Census. But much easier to find things.
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm still finding this "new search" more difficult and time consuming to use.

I've had issues with the 1871 census for a few months, many appear to have been removed.

Mick

And another oddity think its the 1871 Census, Entries I have found previously no longer there! Found one or two by putting EVERY family member in, its as though some are indexed and a lot of have been unconnected.

I've taken up using FreeCen much more but not available for every Census. But much easier to find things.
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Reedy - Ireland to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Bradbury (False name?) - Oxfordshire to Queensland, Australia