Author Topic: FamilySearch new format  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FamilySearch new format
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 October 21 22:05 BST (UK) »
  It seems to me that everyone has their own way into these sites, and some people are better at searching than others, I being one of the latter! I don't use F.S. often, but I will probably work it out.
   Added -
   I have just read the posts from Erato and Gadget, which prove my point - Erato and Gadget are better at searching than I am!

Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 October 21 22:13 BST (UK) »
Been using FS for decades, and have managed to find records quicker than an associate at an FS centre who uses the record-specific approach. Not a brag but, as you say, we all have our own methods and FS has certainly nuked mine.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 October 21 22:17 BST (UK) »
I just tried the main search page with an individual from my tree:  David Waire, born 1791 in Maine.  It worked just fine.  It bought up the Waire records and also the Ware and Wire records, including the ones with no birth date.  It also brought up the records for another David Ware but it is hardly FamilySearch's fault that there happened to be two men with the same name born in Maine at about the same time.  As for the format of the records, it is slightly more colorful than before.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qyy/
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 October 21 22:22 BST (UK) »
I just tried the main search page with an individual from my tree:  David Waire, born 1791 in Maine.  It worked just fine.  It bought up the Waire records and also the Ware and Wire records, including the ones with no birth date.  It also brought up the records for another David Ware but it is hardly FamilySearch's fault that there happened to be two men with the same name born in Maine at about the same time.  As for the format of the records, it is slightly more colorful than before.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qyy/

We'll have to agree to disagree. It's fundamentally different to the format I used just earlier today and is a backwards step for me.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 October 21 22:28 BST (UK) »
I preferred the layout that I encountered early this century.   I located all my ancestors pretty quickly from the film information and on the LH side of the webpage were bmd submitted by am. researchers which is where I found the contact details of those who had submitted the information.   The film number information was extremely handy on the Hugh Wallis webpages.

What we have now is one higgledy piggledy list of information of a mixture taken from submissions by am. researchers (which may or may not be correct)  plus official information taken from images of baptism and marriage pages in ancient church books.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 October 21 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

That works if you're used to searching by individial record set rather than by person specific details across records, and it still brings up the results in a completely different format.

I always search first by person specific details and if there are too much search results in the list I search this list by individual record set. Both search methods are still possible and working.

Regards
Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 October 21 22:56 BST (UK) »
Here is the new opening page.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 October 21 22:56 BST (UK) »
Here is the results page from that.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 October 21 23:00 BST (UK) »
In the previous incarnation, FS would have shown records from neighbouring parishes within the same county, not just nothing. You also had the option to specify BMD or other from the front page.

If you then broaden the search to county level, you get the following.