Author Topic: James Dillon of Co Armagh  (Read 934 times)

Offline thomas2sam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Dillon of Co Armagh
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiltaglassan & adhadowey,

Thanks for your replies.

Kiltaglassan -  thanks for the place name link, it will handy as I am guilty of having skipped some of the background research & reading I need to do.

adhadowey  -  thanks for the links to Martha Dillon/Henry Robinson - she does look like a sister for my James Dillon.  I need to try to find the baptism records (or other records) to check on the mother of both of them.
I did find a copy of the marriage return for James & Jane but lost my source detail so terrific timing.  Yes, I did wonder about Jane's religion but I seem to remember reading something about people of other religions getting married in a Church of Ireland church (or Catholic church) to have their marriages registered.  I hope I remembered correctly!  I did guess she was Methodist as she was buried under the Methodist Rites.

Regards,

thomas2sam

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 10:08 BST (UK) »
In general marriages usually take place in the bride's church after which the couple attend the groom's church. In the case of Methodist it may be that either or both families or even the couple themselves converted from another religion.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline thomas2sam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 October 21 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi adhadowey,

Thanks for your reply.  The second part I didn't know about & hadn't considered.  Food for thought.

Regards,

thomas2sam

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 March 23 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thomas2Sam :-) 

I'm also trying to trace a James Dillon, of Co. Armagh, and I'm just starting to wonder if they're connected.  I'm wondering if yours could have had a first wife, Judith McCavney/McKeavney, and at least a couple of children, Isabelle b. 1845, Richard possibly b. 1844. 

It's just ringing bells, because Richard was living in Greenock, married there in 1865, but was from Armagh - I think he stayed there, but I have lots of matches with Australian Dillons, and his daughter, my great-grandmother Margaret, eventually left New Zealand and went to Sydney.  Her mother was a McCosker, who died young, and many of them also went to Australia. 

Have you done DNA testing?  I've got a large Dillon tree mapped out that connects my Dillon matches, but I'm still looking for my link. 

My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My daughter's family:  HAILEY, WAKEFIELD (=> NZ 1850s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 March 23 05:31 GMT (UK) »
My Richard Dillon, son of James, was 'of Donaghcloney' and connected to Ballynagarrick too - very close to the town names you have. 
My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline thomas2sam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Taonga1,

Thanks for your question. Unfortunately I don't think I can help you.

My initial reaction to your question was that I can't see how he could fitted a second wife into what I believed to be his timeline. My James was born about 1824 and he was married in 1849, aged about 25. I believe his parents were Thomas Dillon & Anne Stothers who were married 1823. His first living child was born about 1850-52 (I don't know if there were any miscarriages or infant deaths).

If you refer back to my original post & one of my first replies, you will have most of the additional information I have.

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking :-)  The James Dillon I'm hunting for has a son who did have a wife who died at age 26 leaving him with two children before he remarried, so these things can happen, but I'll check other possibles.