Author Topic: German text from 19th century Conscription Record  (Read 143 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
German text from 19th century Conscription Record
« on: Saturday 02 October 21 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hallo zusammen!

The attached image is a page from the Reihefolge-Buch der Rekrutenaushebung der Jacobstädtschen Ebräergemeinde of 1871. The compete book can be viewed here https://raduraksti.arhivi.lv/objects/1:5:24:1805:6392#&gid=1&pid=3. Unfortunately, registration is required for access to the site, but it is free. Jacobstadt is modern-day Jekabpils in Latvia.

I'm not entirely certain of some of the words in the note against the Fellmann family, no. 178, relating to the younger son. Many of the other notes in the book include the verbs abgeben and anrechnen as well as the noun Miethlings-Rekrut as standardised terminology in the conscription process.

I think the text reads as follows, because it is what makes sense in the context. Would you agree?

Dieser Familie ist zufolge Kameralhofsbefehl vom 10. Januar 1872 sub. Nro. 220 der im Jahre 1871 abgegebene Miethling Abram {...} Eltermann {angerechnet} worden und namentlich {für} dessen Sohn Mendel Leibe Fellmann.

A note on an Abraham son of Behr Eltermann reads:

Der verzeichnete Abraham Behr Eltermann ist pro Rekrutierung 1 Februar / 1 Maerz 1871 für die Gemeinde freiwillig in den Militairdienste eingetreten.

Justin

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: German text from 19th century Conscription Record
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 October 21 12:41 BST (UK) »
 Hi Justin
Guten Abend
my O level german is very rusty so I wouldnt be much help but i cant see the sentence you are referring to on this clip

does  this meean the Fellmanns were recruited into German army in 1871 ?

what are the numbers after the names ..is it ages last census ..?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 October 21 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Brigid,

You need to look at the image on a larger screen perhaps to see the notes on the right-hand side and the column headings.

This Reihefolgebuch recorded the sequence in which the families of the Jewish community of Jacobstadt were required to provide conscripts for the Russian Imperial Army. The sequence ran from the families with the greatest number of male members to those with the least. A man's liability to be conscripted was dependent on his age and marital status, which is why wives are recorded in the book, but not their ages.

German was the official language in the governorate of Kurland until the late 1880s.

The 27-year-old Abraham son of Behr Eltermann had volunteered to enter military service in Feb/Mar 1871 on behalf of the Jewish community. The cited Kameralhosbefehl (Order of the State Chamber) allowed the Fellmann family to pay a substitution fee and then to take credit for Abraham's service and thereby not have to hand over your 20-year-old Mendel. 

The Kameralhof (kazennaya palata in Russian) was essentially the treasury of the governorate. It was directly subordinate to the Russian Imperial Ministry of Finance.

Interestingly, there is a note further down the page concerning the Abramowitz family, specially no. 248 Zallel Landmann, aged 19 !!! In accordance with an order of the State Chamber dated 1 Sep 1872, he was to be officially registered as the adoptive son of Golde, the wife of 42-year-old Moses Abraham Abramowitz. This adoption pushed him way down the list of potential conscripts; from 61st place to 180th in the sequence of conscription.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 October 21 16:45 BST (UK) »
 thats really interesting
ive now learnt about conscrription rules and managed to shunt the picture over

but its really hard to make out the words even if i could understand old German

Lucky for our Mendel (Samuel ) that he  could be exempt as he was already married with 2 young children by 1971

Do you think Abraham Behr  ELTERMANN was connected to their family or was it just a certain number of recruits per sector

there is a 9 year gap between Yankel  + mendel Im interpreting the words as first son and second son

i  (Have a dna match which leads back to a Leib (leo FELMAN  b1872  father of Jack Jacob FElman 1905-1967 who could be another brother  )

+ yes i will make a note of zallel  LANDMANN its the second case of an adult Ive come acros.
 the other according to oral history  was because father in law had no sons
laban fellman B9i857 became Louis SPECTER.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson