Author Topic: Records help  (Read 1573 times)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Records help
« on: Saturday 02 October 21 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi. I have a 1921 military  record for Charles Ernest Rodgers b 1891. Regiment  is the RFA, rank gunner and his number is 58454. At the time he was living in Fence Houses, Durham. The location and year  of of birth  are how I know that the record  refers to the person I'm searching for info' about.
I know little else definite about him prior to this military record, but he MAY have been born in Ireland and come over to England with 2 brothers to join the military when he was aged about 15, so around 1906.
He married in Fence Houses in 1914, but I can't find him on the 1911 census in Fence Houses.
I did find a London parish birth record for a Charles Ernest ROGERS JULY 3RD 1891 , mother Sophia ROGERS. No father listed. The document does record whether legitimate or illegitimate, but that info hasn't been transcribed onto the ancestry record and the image of the doc is chopped off so I can only see the first few letters ,which I think are " ILL.."
I wasn't sure from the record if these were poor law union records or not? Also not sure what images I'm  allowed to post here.
Any help greatly appreciated
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Records help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 October 21 12:51 BST (UK) »
Does the birth date 3 July 1891 tie in with your Charles' entry on the 1939 register? I see there is a match in Dearne.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 October 21 13:00 BST (UK) »
1911 Census:

Name:   Charles Ernest Rogers
Age in 1911:   19
Birth Place:   London, Lambeth, Surrey, England
Street Address:   Bulford Hut Barracks, Bulford Camp, Salisbury
Military Unit:   72nd Battery Royal Field Artillery

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 October 21 13:34 BST (UK) »
Does the birth date 3 July 1891 tie in with your Charles' entry on the 1939 register? I see there is a match in Dearne.

His wife in 1939 matches with a 1914 marriage in Durham as stated in the first post, so it does appear to be his baptism.

Debra  :)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 October 21 14:43 BST (UK) »
The London "parish record" is not a baptism register. It's headed up "Register of Births" and every birth on the page is illegitimate. Its provenance is not clear.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1558/images/31362_189886-01031?pId=45661
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 October 21 15:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's him in Dearne in 1939.
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 October 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
1911 Census:

Name:   Charles Ernest Rogers
Age in 1911:   19
Birth Place:   London, Lambeth, Surrey, England
Street Address:   Bulford Hut Barracks, Bulford Camp, Salisbury
Military Unit:   72nd Battery Royal Field Artillery

Tony

Fabulous👍Thank you.

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 October 21 15:05 BST (UK) »
The London "parish record" is not a baptism register. It's headed up "Register of Births" and every birth on the page is illegitimate. Its provenance is not clear.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1558/images/31362_189886-01031?pId=45661
Could it be from the work house? Did you see on the transcript there was a column headed something like poor law baptism ? Sorry for rush. Currently fitting skirting boards but wanted to reply with thanks.

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 October 21 15:23 BST (UK) »

His wife in 1939 matches with a 1914 marriage in Durham as stated in the first post, so it does appear to be his baptism.

Debra  :)
Yes that's correct🙂