Author Topic: Royal Navy muster book 1758 - 1760  (Read 110 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Navy muster book 1758 - 1760
« on: Saturday 02 October 21 13:22 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Chatters can suggest the kind of information likely found in a Royal Navy muster book for 1758 - 1760. We understand that, typically, names are listed on the left hand page, and figures in columns recorded on the right hand page. We're presuming that the latter are allotments paid to the men and the dates for this, but wonder if any other personal information might be given as well. If there is no personal information, it may not be worth spending money to get the image, and just trying to judge the chances of this.

Any help much appreciated.

Flemming.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Navy muster book 1758 - 1760
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 October 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
I've just been looking at some muster books from that period on FindMyPast and the information is variable and sparse. It might tell you where he was born and whether or not he was pressed but otherwise there is little personal information.

If you are looking for details of spouse or mother, allotment records might yield more clues than muster books.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 October 21 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Shaun, thanks for the reply. I agree that records from that time are a bit hit and miss. We have family details and so on but were hoping to get more about date and place of birth. I suppose you always take a gamble when you request a paid-for image - sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 October 21 19:56 BST (UK) »
Who are you looking for?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk