Author Topic: HEFFERING, James - born circa 1807, transported on the Florentia 1827/8  (Read 615 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
HEFFERING, James - born circa 1807, transported on the Florentia 1827/8
« on: Sunday 03 October 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

I am looking to see if there is any more information about a convict named James Heffering.

James was convicted of stealing a fowl at the Old Bailey in January 1827 and sentenced to 7 years. He was transported to NSW on the Florentia departing August 1827 and arriving January 1828. Records show he was originally from County Mayo and born about 1807.

The last record I have found for James is a Certificate of Freedom from 1841.

I am trying to determine whether or not he could be Albury blacksmith J C Everitt referenced in this previous post: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=705926

More recent information not included in the previous post:

1. The 1829 Newgate Prison record for William Andrews alias Everett (Luke Everitt) shows that was originally from County Mayo (credit goes to Kody Everitt who contributed to the previous post).

2. The y-DNA tests for two great-great-grandsons of Luke Everitt show a very close connection to two men descended from a Heffernan / Hefferan / Hefferon family from Ballinrobe, County Mayo.

Any additional information about James Heffering greatly received.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HEFFERING, James - born circa 1807, transported on the Florentia 1827/8
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 07:49 BST (UK) »
Just a couple of points:
Trove.nla  NSW Govt Gazette  has Certificate of Freedom for James Heffering (ship Florentia ) in 1834 whereas your man Cert of Freedom in 1841 from Ancestry has him on the Kintchin1. (not a transcription but could be a clerical error?) Or could he have been granted C of F in 1834 and for some reason again in 1841? NSW State Records has 2 Certs for him per Florentia.

Also I understand you think this man could be J C Everitt who was convicted in 1829? James Heffering arrived in Australia in 1828.

Perhaps I am confused!

shume   australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi shume

As far as I am aware there wasn't a convict ship called the Kintchin. I believe that is a mistranscription of Florentia. I understand the 1841 ticket is a re-issue of the original 1834 ticket.

William Andrews alias Everett is convicted in 1829 and arrives in 1830. After he becomes free he uses the name Luke Everett / Everitt and is a builder in Albury.

James Heffering is convicted in 1827 and arrives in 1828. There seems to be no record of him after 1841.

It is James Heffering who may or not be J C Everett the blacksmith named in histories of Albury. I hope that clears up your confusion.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 October 21 05:55 BST (UK) »

Hi shume

As far as I am aware there wasn't a convict ship called the Kintchin. I believe that is a mistranscription of Florentia. I understand the 1841 ticket is a re-issue of the original 1834 ticket.

William Andrews alias Everett is convicted in 1829 and arrives in 1830. After he becomes free he uses the name Luke Everett / Everitt and is a builder in Albury.

James Heffering is convicted in 1827 and arrives in 1828. There seems to be no record of him after 1841.

It is James Heffering who may or not be J C Everett the blacksmith named in histories of Albury. I hope that clears up your confusion.

May I mention that James HEFFERING it is not usual for a second CF to be issued ... James must have needed a replacement document for his CF issued in 1834, so the 1841 CF document would be sufficient for him to leave the Colony of NSW and go  'anywhere', afterall, he had completed his servitude.  Why would he have needed a new CF ... afterall he had been emancipated for quite a number of years ....  Umm....  IF he wanted to leave the colony he would have needed proof of his status, and the CF provided that proof.  He cannot find it ... so he decided to get it replaced.  He would like go to the Police Magistrate ... there he would learn that he would have needed to apply for a new CF, and he would have needed to pay the fee too.

Turn back the clocks ... its 1841 - and you yearn to travel ... there's an economic downturn in NSW, so there's New Zealand,  Tasmania, South Australia, China, California, England, Chile, Cape Town, The Straits, ... many ports  - he just needed the funds to pay his fare, and the CF to prove he was Free to leave NSW.    That's not to say he would have quit NSW,  yes he may well have become known by another name, and have become a blacksmith in Albury, BUT .... both are simply speculations at this stage.  Heffering is an unusual spelling, and I can only find one other by that surname on any NSW convict list (Patrick, per the Backwell in 1833).   

JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 October 21 06:06 BST (UK) »
1867 Directory
The Hume. 
L EVERITT, Bungowannah
J EVERITT, Bungowannah

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 October 21 06:27 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm  :D  :D
William ANDREWS alias Luke EVERETT per the Marquis of Huntley 1830 dated 23 July 1838, and numbered 38/0630.    https://records-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/f/1e5kcq1/INDEX240497

and another in 1840
https://records-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/f/1e5kcq1/INDEX215531

NSW Electoral Roll THE HUME 1870
Luke EVERETT, of Bungawannah, freehold, Sergeant's Flat.

JM

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 October 21 09:53 BST (UK) »
Turn back the clocks ... its 1841 - and you yearn to travel ... there's an economic downturn in NSW, so there's New Zealand,  Tasmania, South Australia, China, California, England, Chile, Cape Town, The Straits, ... many ports  - he just needed the funds to pay his fare, and the CF to prove he was Free to leave NSW.   

Thanks, JM.

Leaving the colony is a possible reason for no further records.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 October 21 09:56 BST (UK) »
1867 Directory
The Hume. 
L EVERITT, Bungowannah
J EVERITT, Bungowannah

Thanks, JM.

J Everitt may be Lukes's eldest son John.