Author Topic: William Briggs marriage.  (Read 865 times)

Offline BillieM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Briggs marriage.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 October 21 11:57 BST (UK) »
Majm would you be willing to tell me what it is that doesn't make sense? I'm just hoping to figure out which if any of the William Briggs who were in a gaol in N.S.W at the times when William Briggs was apparently living in or near Goulburn.
I would appreciate any suggestions to help me solve the mystery.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 October 21 12:28 BST (UK) »
Majm would you be willing to tell me what it is that doesn't make sense? I'm just hoping to figure out which if any of the William Briggs who were in a gaol in N.S.W at the times when William Briggs was apparently living in or near Goulburn.
I would appreciate any suggestions to help me solve the mystery.

Yes.

:) How many chaps do you have by the name of  William BRIGGS and as  arriving per the England 1826?

:) I refer to my post where I note that a person dying in 1858 cannot be in Gaol in 1869.  I wrote that in reply to your post informing us that  you were considering a a William BRIGGS  per the England 1826 and who was in Gaol 1848-1869.  It simply does not make good sense.

Here :
After spending sometime comparing the several William Briggs and working on the presumption that he was a convict, I have the following details,
Transported for 7 years in April 1826 on the ship England arriving in the colony in Sep 1826. ...
There is one for Parramatta Gaol in 1846 giving his occupation as a butcher and one for Goulburn Gaol 1848-1869 also as a butcher.
Each of these men arrived on the England in 1826.
Are they all the same man and the same William Briggs ....

Something is not making good sense ...

I have looked through the thread that Sue posted thank you.
I would presume that if the informant on a death cert was the wife then surely it would be somewhere rear accurate. Perhaps not but it's the only dates I have to work with otherwise I would be looking at every William Briggs over a much broader time.
I was hoping to find out if there was any truth in the gaol entries I posted.  I haven't even seen an entry for 1869 as it's well past the death I have for William.
I'm hoping to sort out the different W Briggs in England who were sentenced to transportation around the time of 1826 and if any of them were the same Briggs  who were jailed in the colonies.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline BillieM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 October 21 00:40 BST (UK) »
Working from the death cert where it states his date of death, age and length of time in the colony, I searched for any William Briggs born abt 1826 and arriving in the colony abt 1824-28.
One arrived on the Hercules (7 years) and one who came on the Speke (life) didn't seem to fit as I could see deaths for both of them in 1862.
My possible convict arrived on the England (7 years)

The Gaol entries which are all headed with New South Wales Australia, Gaol Description and Entrance Books, 1818-1930 are as follows,

Berrima Gaol 1845. The description somewhat matches the description on the Certificate of Freedom. No other information.

There are two entries for Parramatta Gaol for 1846. One states job of butcher and a sentence of 3 years and something else I can't decipher.
The second for Parramatta states 29 May 1846 and job as a butcher. No other information.

There are also two entries for Goulburn Gaol. First one says 19 Aug 1849. Trade, butcher. No other information.
The second has no other date apart from 1847-1869 beside " Date of Admission/Photo"  There is a similar description to the Cert of freedom and also states "Committed Once Before"
I'm sorry but on that entry I cannot see any other dates other than 1847-1869.

I would presume the entries that states Butcher as a trade will not be the William I'm looking for as he was apparently a brickmaker.
The Gaol Entrance books say that these prisoners arrived on the England in 1826. I had thought there was only one William Briggs who came here on the England in 1826.

I think I've been able to see where only 3 William Briggs were sent here around 1824-28 but I'm still not sure where they were once they were settled.

I see where the England made her first voyage to the Colony in 1826 and the second in 1835.

I searched all the William Briggs who were transported and only 3 are are round the time that fits.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 October 21 01:22 BST (UK) »
So are you saying that you don't actually have any document showing any William BRIGGS was in Goulburn Gaol from 1848 until 1869. ?   ?   ? 

I will try to spend some time next weekend trying to assist you further.

Working from the death cert where it states his date of death, age and length of time in the colony, I searched for any William Briggs born abt 1826 and arriving in the colony abt 1824-28.
One arrived on the Hercules (7 years) and one who came on the Speke (life) didn't seem to fit as I could see deaths for both of them in 1862.
My possible convict arrived on the England (7 years)

The Gaol entries which are all headed with New South Wales Australia, Gaol Description and Entrance Books, 1818-1930 are as follows,

Berrima Gaol 1845. The description somewhat matches the description on the Certificate of Freedom. No other information.

There are two entries for Parramatta Gaol for 1846. One states job of butcher and a sentence of 3 years and something else I can't decipher.
The second for Parramatta states 29 May 1846 and job as a butcher. No other information.

There are also two entries for Goulburn Gaol. First one says 19 Aug 1849. Trade, butcher. No other information.
The second has no other date apart from 1847-1869 beside " Date of Admission/Photo"  There is a similar description to the Cert of freedom and also states "Committed Once Before"

I would presume the entries that states Butcher as a trade will not be the William I'm looking for as he was apparently a brickmaker.
The Gaol Entrance books say that these prisoners arrived on the England in 1826. I had thought there was only one William Briggs who came here on the England in 1826.

I think I've been able to see where only 3 William Briggs were sent here around 1824-28 but I'm still not sure where they were once they were settled.

I see where the England made her first voyage to the Colony in 1826 and the second in 1835.

I searched all the William Briggs who were transported and only 3 are are round the time that fits.

I share the following newspaper cuttings for those following this thread.

Re your Berrima Gaol 1845 sighting.   Likely this would be the newspaper coverage.  I note the owner of the stolen horse as actually the Chief Constable of Berrima.  The horse was missed at the end of July 1845. Wm Briggs offered to sell his horse (apparently the same horse) to that Chief Constable a month after the horse had been missed.  As Wm Briggs was noted under the heading ‘’Gaol Delivery” I think it is fair to assume that that Wm Briggs remained in the gaol awaiting his postponed trial until March 1846 when the NSW Supreme Court’s Chief Justice was presiding in the Berrima Court, and so that March 1846 trial found William guilty and he had to serve 3 years on the road gangs.  So that takes him through possibly to March 1849 in irons on the road gangs
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/37158070  The Australian 15 Sept 1845 page 4
Country News
Berrima Circuit Court.
The criminal business of this court commenced on Monday 1st Instant, before his Honor Mr Justice a’Beckett. ……….
Gaol Delivery
…….
Wm Briggs for stealing a mare;  …. Postponed on affidavit, till next assizes. 

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12885738 SMH 7 March 1846 page 2
Assize Intelligence.  Berrima Circuit Court
Wednesday March 4 before His Honor, the Chief Justice.
…….
Horse Stealing.
William Briggs was indicted for having, at Oldbury, on the 29th of July last, stolen a mare, the property of Noel Chapman.
The mare named in the information, which belonged to Mr Chapman, the chief constable of Berrima, appeared, by the evidence to be running at Oldbury at the time alluded to when it was missed, and was not heard of until about a month afterwards, when it was found in the possession of the prisoner who claimed the animal as his own, and offered her for sale.  No tangible defence was offered by the prisoner, who was found guilty by the Jury without leaving the box, and he was sentenced to be worked in irons on the public roads for the term of three years.
……………………..

In your opening post you mention that you have "found a marriage with Mary Jackson”.   Can you please provide further details... When, where, clergy, status of the Bride and the Groom, Witnesses, etc

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12897441 SMH 2 June 1847
Sudden Death.   An inquiry was held by Mr North P.M. at the Police Office, Berrima, this day May 29 as to the cause of the death of a woman named Mary Jackson, but better known as “Briggs”.  From the evidence adduced, it appears that yesterday deceased had been indulgin in spirituous liquors, and whilst passing a bullock team loaded with hay, she staggered, fell under the pole, the bullocks got frightened, and moved on, and the near wheel passed over her chest.  She died in about two hours time.  This is one more to the already numerous lists of lives lost from the effects of intemperance.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 October 21 01:56 BST (UK) »
This would be the index reference for the probate packet of the William BRIGGS who is the likely father of Sandiehawk’s thread about Charles Henry BRIGGS…: https://search.records.nsw.gov.au/permalink/f/1ebnd1l/ADLIB_RNSW112580969

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=853028.0

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 October 21 04:08 BST (UK) »

To fully describe the entry you are citing here.
The bound book in which the records are contained is entitled.
Entrance Book . Goulburn. 1848 to 1869

The entry of interest-

Name- Wm BRIGGS
Arrival ship-England
Arrival year 1826
On arrival Free or Bond-B
On entering gaol Free or Bond-F
Native Place-London
Religion- Protestant
Trade or calling-Butcher
(Next Page)
When- 19th Aug 1949
Whence- Cooma
Purpose-Committed
Disposed of, How- Discharged
When- 20th Aug
Behaviour in gaol-Orderly

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 October 21 04:43 BST (UK) »
Locked Up OVERNIGHT.   ::)

Many thanks Sue.

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 October 21 04:46 BST (UK) »

As Wm Briggs was noted under the heading ‘’Gaol Delivery” I think it is fair to assume that that Wm Briggs remained in the gaol awaiting his postponed trial until March 1846 when the NSW Supreme Court’s Chief Justice was presiding in the Berrima Court, and so that March 1846 trial found William guilty and he had to serve 3 years on the road gangs.  So that takes him through possibly to March 1849 in irons on the road gangs

Reminder here -
The births of the children in in the William BRIGGS/ Ann SMITH union included the years 1845 to 1849 and beyond.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 October 21 04:48 BST (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/101729518 Goulburn Herald 11 August 1849

LARCENY.

The man Briggs who burglariously entered the house of Mr. Solomon, at the Flats, was
fully committed  on Monday last  by the Bench at Cooma.

JM