Author Topic: William Briggs marriage.  (Read 1874 times)

Offline BillieM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Briggs marriage.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 01:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Majm. I have those certificates that I mentioned in my previous post. I'm aware of the risk of just copying from another tree and have sent for my own documents.
I'm hoping to learn more about the Towrang brickmakers and will continue searching.
BillieM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 01:11 BST (UK) »
Some info about the Old Hume Highway.

I have previously shared links on another thread from another Enquiry, but perhaps these two links will help with background on the survey and construction of the Old Hume Highway, in the early 1840s. 

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/about/environment/protecting-heritage/old-hume-highway/old-hume-hwy-home.html

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/about/environment/protecting-heritage/hume-highway-duplication/history-begins-with-a-road.pdf  (130 book, very detailed). ......

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 01:19 BST (UK) »
I have had a quick re-skim read of the 130 page pdf.    See pdf page 17 or thereabouts.  Towrang Stockade 1834-1842, housing up to 250 convicts .....  and  pdf pages 51 - 60,  including pdf page 54.

ADD Mr Geggle gives : https://towrangstockade.com.au/ and
https://www.freesettlerorfelon.com/towrang_stockade.html

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 01:55 BST (UK) »
Good morning. I'm looking for more information about William Briggs and exactly who he married.
I think he was born 29 Jan 1806 in London.

I see him acquitted  in 1823 and found guilty of stealing in Oct 1826 and sentenced to transportation for 7 years.  He spent some time on the hulk Justicia and arrived in Sydney 18 Sep 1826.

He married Ann Smith in 1848 and died in Towrang in 1858.
My question is did he marry before 1848 as 42 years is a little bit older than usual for a first marriage.

On looking at many trees online I have found marriages to
Eliza Burke 17 Jan 1832
Mary Curtis 28 Jul 1832
Norah Garver 27 Sep 1832.
I have also found a marriage with Mary Jackson.
However some of these trees have a later death date for William.

I've found Gaol entries for William for Berrima 1840 and Parramatta in 1846.
I also see him being taken on a a shepherd by Captain Brooks, Goulburn in 1828.

I'm looking for any information about William, in particular other possible marriages and where he spent the years between arriving in the colony and his marriage in 1848.
Billie.

and

Once I had figured out that your William BRIGGS had been transported on the England, I could rule out at least 2 of the names:

BRIGGS, William, ship: Speke (3), applied to marry: BURKE, Eliza
BRIGGS, William, ship: Hercules, applied to marry: GARVER, Norah   

NSW State Archives online index has the date of death of the William BRIGGS per Speke (3) as 30 September 1862 as per Convict Death Register.
https://records-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/f/1e5kcq1/INDEX309104

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convicts-index    And at present, they have uploaded (finally) their fantastic 424 page Convict Guide BOOK of 2006, now as a downloadable pdf.

JM

Offline BillieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 01:27 BST (UK) »
Majm, thank you so much for all the wonderful links. I've had a quick read through and will do so again in detail. The Convict Guide book of 2006 is great also.
BillieM.

Offline BillieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 October 21 01:22 BST (UK) »
After spending sometime comparing the several William Briggs and working on the presumption that he was a convict, I have the following details,
Transported for 7 years in April 1826 on the ship England arriving in the colony in Sep 1826.
Had been held on the hulk Justicia before sailing.
Taken on by Captain Brooks of Lake George, Goulburn as a shepherd.
Granted Certificate of Freedom in May 1833.

On the criminal register for the transportation it states he "was in Newgate before".
An entry for Newgate in 1825 says he was Not Guilty of stealing a pair of shoes and he was a baker.
On the cert of Freedom he is a baker.

There are several entries in Gaol Description books that I'm not sure about.
The one for Berrima Gaol in 1845 matches his description on the Cert of Freedom.
There is one for Parramatta Gaol in 1846 giving his occupation as a butcher and one for Goulburn Gaol 1848-1869 also as a butcher.
Each of these men arrived on the England in 1826.
Are they all the same man and the same William Briggs I am searching for?
My other question is some discrepancy with his age on entries.
I have seen a birth entry for a William Briggs born to Charles and Elizabeth Briggs in Jan 1806 and a death certificate that says he was 53 and 33 years in the colony.
 Is there any way of confirming or rejecting any of these documents/
Also is the somewhere I can look up more information about the gaol sentences such as what crime and sentence given?
Looking at any William Briggs arriving in the colony about 1826 I found two other possibilities.
One arrived on the Hercules and the other on the Speke and as far as I can see, they both died in 1862 so not likely candidates for me. The man on the Speke was sentenced to life.

I would be very grateful for any help.
BillieM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 October 21 05:32 BST (UK) »
The chap who died in 1858 cannot be the chap in Gaol in 1869.

The information on NSW bdm records is informant driven.  So on a d.c. the age of the deceased is often considered as a tad flexible, for it depends on informant's knowledge, and if a  close family member then the informant would likely be grieving and handling funeral arrangements in the era long before instant communications handheld devices ....  :)  a lit if arrangements, all face to face or handwriten and sent by letter carrier...

Have you gone through the rhread Sue kindly posted?

JM

After spending sometime comparing the several William Briggs and working on the presumption that he was a convict, I have the following details,
Transported for 7 years in April 1826 on the ship England arriving in the colony in Sep 1826.
Had been held on the hulk Justicia before sailing.
Taken on by Captain Brooks of Lake George, Goulburn as a shepherd.
Granted Certificate of Freedom in May 1833.

On the criminal register for the transportation it states he "was in Newgate before".
An entry for Newgate in 1825 says he was Not Guilty of stealing a pair of shoes and he was a baker.
On the cert of Freedom he is a baker.

There are several entries in Gaol Description books that I'm not sure about.
The one for Berrima Gaol in 1845 matches his description on the Cert of Freedom.
There is one for Parramatta Gaol in 1846 giving his occupation as a butcher and one for Goulburn Gaol 1848-1869 also as a butcher.
Are they all the same man and the same William Briggs I am searching for?
My other question is some discrepancy with his age on entries.
I have seen a birth entry for a William Briggs born to Charles and Elizabeth Briggs in Jan 1806 and a death certificate that says he was 53 and 33 years in the colony.
 Is there any way of confirming or rejecting any of these documents/
Also is the somewhere I can look up more information about the gaol sentences such as what crime and sentence given?
Looking at any William Briggs arriving in the colony about 1826 I found two other possibilities.
One arrived on the Hercules and the other on the Speke and as far as I can see, they both died in 1862 so not likely candidates for me. The man on the Speke was sentenced to life.

I would be very grateful for any help.
BillieM

rying to

Offline BillieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 October 21 08:46 BST (UK) »
I have looked through the thread that Sue posted thank you.
I would presume that if the informant on a death cert was the wife then surely it would be somewhere rear accurate. Perhaps not but it's the only dates I have to work with otherwise I would be looking at every William Briggs over a much broader time.
I was hoping to find out if there was any truth in the gaol entries I posted.  I haven't even seen an entry for 1869 as it's well past the death I have for William.
I'm hoping to sort out the different W Briggs in England who were sentenced to transportation around the time of 1826 and if any of them were the same Briggs  who were jailed in the colonies.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 October 21 09:01 BST (UK) »
Transported for 7 years in April 1826 on the ship England arriving in the colony in Sep 1826. ...
Are they all the same man and the same William Briggs ....

Something is not making good sense ...

I have looked through the thread that Sue posted thank you.
I would presume that if the informant on a death cert was the wife then surely it would be somewhere rear accurate. Perhaps not but it's the only dates I have to work with otherwise I would be looking at every William Briggs over a much broader time.
I was hoping to find out if there was any truth in the gaol entries I posted.  I haven't even seen an entry for 1869 as it's well past the death I have for William.
I'm hoping to sort out the different W Briggs in England who were sentenced to transportation around the time of 1826 and if any of them were the same Briggs  who were jailed in the colonies.

JM