Author Topic: William Briggs marriage.  (Read 1877 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: William Briggs marriage.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 17 October 21 05:02 BST (UK) »
A spelling error or a typo? 

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/101730795 Goulburn Herald 4 August  1849
Larceny
William GIBBS ..... through the window .... Solomon .... Squatters Arms .... Jews Flats .... secured the giant ... certain mansion at Cooma ... where the burglar would ....

Enjoy the reporter's hyperbole.   It is a 'must read'.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 17 October 21 05:29 BST (UK) »
The NSW Gaol Description Books on 2 occasions match each other well.

Berrima Gaol Description Books 1840 to 1847 where William BRIGGS is standing number 2303  in year 1845.
Particular mention is made of a scar on his lip.

This scar is also noted in the Goulburn  Gaol Description Books where BRIGGS is standing number 2457 in year 1847.

Other details of appearance are much alike.

One could accept these are the same man

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BillieM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 17 October 21 05:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. I am still not sure if any of the prisoners are the same as the man I'm looking for.
Is there a way that I can see more details from these books. I often find indexes but don't know how to open them to see more information. Do I need a membership perhaps?

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 17 October 21 05:38 BST (UK) »
I am using Ancestry's resources entitled New South Wales, Australia, Gaol Description and Entrance Books, 1818-1930.

And thoroughly studying the images offered for Wm and William BRIGGS.

I know of not other sources, but JM might.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 17 October 21 05:58 BST (UK) »
I think there would be plenty of work for a Butcher in 1849, particularly if he had been a shepherd for (Captain) Richard BROOKS of Denham Court and Lake George,  in the late 1820s.  It is a small step from husbanding sheep to slaughtering sheep.     

William BRIGGS, the chap who died 1858, was a brickmaker.

We should also remember that NOT everyone who arrived in New South Wales was transported under a sentence.  Perhaps no more than 70% of the population of (penal settlement of) Sydney in the 1828 records was still under a bond.  But many were emancipated, others were born in the colony, others were garrison forces and their families and descendants, others were settlers, and others were responding to the opening up of NSW to migration schemes - Grants of Land without Purchase ....   
Shipping records for the 1820s are scant on family history for any arrivals except if transported under a sentence of a civil court.   

The NSW State Archives has 'ALL' the records.  They have released some of these for digitisation by the usual commercial family history websites, and there are kilometres and kilometres of shelving holding far more archives than those commercial websites have digitised.   The NSW State Archives online website has many digitised images readily available NO CHARGE, and it has many indexes and a separate search engine for many of each of those indexes.  It also has an overall search engine. 

I am sure there were about 20 different chaps who were known as William BRIGGS in the late 1820s through to mid 1851 (gold rushes commence mid 1851, tens of thousands of people arrived, no paperwork trail successfully gives all their names as even the shipping clerks caught gold fever and quit Sydney for the long walking trek over the Blue Mountains to the Gold Fields). 

NSW State Archives does NOT require membership, does NOT charge entrance fee and is where the original records are held.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/

I do not have access to Ancestry or Find My Past at present.

My OH and I are hoping to be back at our own home by next weekend.  We are still with ancient rellies in Sydney, got ''caught " in June in a very long lockdown.  I am relying on one trusty notebook for helping on RChat, and knowing how to get the most out of Trove, NSW State Library e-resources, NLA, etc.

JM 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 17 October 21 06:06 BST (UK) »
I find that when you discover an index entry it is pointing you to the reference numbers you will need when you locate where the actual record is held.  To my way of thinking it has always been that way, not just for family history, but for ''everything" .... Long before internet, long before puters,  there were Tickler Boxes, Postcard sized summaries, cross referenced by individuals, in all the reference libraries I ever went to, work wise and past-time wise.   For example, from NSW SL :
https://collection.sl.nsw.gov.au/record/nvg8VzD1 - that's pointing to the  Havard manuscript card Index to Historical Records of Australia, 1788-1848

So if you find an index entry at NSW State Archives ONLINE, it will give you the NSW State Archives reference number, and often the National Library of Australia's Reference Number.  Trove as a part of the National Library of Australia is a huge resource, as so much of those resources are being digitised and coming online and are freely available. 

JM

Offline BillieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 17 October 21 07:50 BST (UK) »
It would be likely that I won't be able to find out exactly how William  Briggs arrived in Australia nor the reason.
I think I can say that he was the man who married Ann Smith and he died in Towrang in 1858 with his trade given as a brickmaker.
Whether he was a convict or in a prison in N.S.W is too difficult to prove.
He will probably remain a mystery.
No matter how many places I've searched, I can only find one W. Briggs who arrived on the England in 1826 and yet there is conflicting information and too confusing for me to make sense of it.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 17 October 21 08:12 BST (UK) »
1832  Sydney NSW a marriage.  notice the spelling of the surname.

William BRIGG, aged 23, a bachelor, residing in St Lawrence (C of E) parish, a Storekeeper and Mary CURTIS, aged 20, single, residing in St Lawrence (C of E) parish, married by Licence 31 July 1832 by Re Richard HILL. St James (C of E) Sydney.  Witnesses :  G CLEWETT of Bathurst St, and Mary HAYWOOD of Parramatta.   
(both bride and groom made their X mark and so too the witnesses).
I think that couple may have had two daughters and may have settled in the Cooma district. 

JM

Offline BillieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 17 October 21 11:59 BST (UK) »
Majm I've seen that marriage and also one with Mary Jackson and another with Norah Garver.
Any of them are a possibility I suppose.