Author Topic: Occupation of ELEANOR McVEIGH arrived Sydney 2 Jan 1852  (Read 302 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Occupation of ELEANOR McVEIGH arrived Sydney 2 Jan 1852
« on: Monday 04 October 21 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I wondered if anyone might have an idea of this woman's occupation from the passenger list of the ship "William and Mary" which sailed from Cork to Sydney (attached). It's fairly easy to see that Eleanor McVeigh was age 26, was born in Portadown, Co Amargh, and her parents Thomas and Margaret were both dead. Later in the year of her arrival she married a fellow passenger at St Mary's in Sydney, so perhaps it was a shipboard romance that blossomed. Her husband was from Co Limerick, which is a lot closer to Cork than Co Amargh, but be that as it may.
The best I can come up with for the "calling" is Great House Servant, but I am not entirely convinced. Nor am I convinced that would be the sort of description that would have been used.
As always, any suggestions gratefully received.
Geoff Turner.

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation of ELEANOR McVEIGH arrived Sydney 2 Jan 1852
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 October 21 09:20 BST (UK) »
I think it is Genl( General) house servant.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 October 21 09:26 BST (UK) »
Agree with Christine53.... Genl House Servant....and note it's Co Armagh (where the apples are grown).  ;D

KG

Added: https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/portadown-rural/
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 October 21 09:50 BST (UK) »
My apologies for mis-spelling Armagh. There are several other women described as "dom. servant", or "housemaid", and the like on that passenger list. I guess "general house servant" is just a variation of the same thing. I can see it now that you have made the suggestion, thanks.

I thought it a little odd that someone from Co Armagh would be sailing from Cork. My great grandmother (from near Mullingar in County Westmeath) sailed to Australia from Belfast in 1875. Belfast would have been a much easier port of departure for someone from Co Armagh that Cork, you'd think!

But again, thanks to all.

Geoff