Author Topic: susanna mclean  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: susanna mclean
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 11:24 BST (UK) »
and a service record for Henry Arnott, age 20 born Edinburgh who attested in the 13th Hussars 26 Feb 1892. Service no 3197, he seems to have served for 12 years.
noted on his record is his marriage to Sarah J McLean at Edinburgh 27.7.1899 and also a 'death certificate of a pensioner' (not an official death cert so no info about his parents/spouse etc, but the official one will be available on Scotland's People) showing he died 04.02 1937 at Western General Hospital, Edinburgh

Boo

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 07:55 BST (UK) »
I know I have digressed from Susnna McLean,but did Alfred Chivers rejoin for W.W.1?thank you for your time,tom

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 13:14 BST (UK) »
I know I have digressed from Susnna McLean,but did Alfred Chivers rejoin for W.W.1?thank you for your time,tom

Hi Tom, don't worry about digressing - I am Olympic standard at side tracking and know that as we find answers we inevitably end up with a new set of questions :-)

Bits n pieces I can see about Alfred Chivers:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSCN-F9L

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWHX-JSF

The above links are to Family Search you need to be signed into a (free) account to see them

I can't find a WW1 service record for him, but so many did not survive the incendiary bomb in WW2 so that's not conclusive. He was about 45 at the outbreak of WW1 though and coupled with the 1911 census that shows him working for the North Eastern Railway Co. -  that may well have been a reserved occupation -  my best guess is that he wouldn't be re-called for service.

https://www.head-of-steam.co.uk/our-collections/catalogues/

at the bottom of that page are links to downloadable spreadsheets of the centre's holdings of pension index cards and there is an entry for Alfred.
name: Chivers, Alfred
d.o.b. 15/10/1869
died: 26/05/1952
entered service: April 1895
grade: Assistant Store Keeper
station: West Hartlepool
year 1908-1922 - unsure what this refers to? service at this particular station? but it looks to be from and to, which again could lend a little weight to his NER service being continuous and therefore he didn't serve. Please don't take my opinion as being writ in stone though - I really am just guessing about this.

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail
29 Sep 1936, page 4 col 1
Deaths
CHIVERS - On September 28th at 58 Lansdowne Road, Elizabeth Jane, beloved wife of Alfred Chivers

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail
27 May 1952, page 8 col 1
CHIVERS - On May 26 Alfred, aged 83 years, dearly beloved husband of the late Elizabeth Jane Chivers.
Cortege leaves 40 Eamont Gardens, Wednesday 11 a.m. for service in Wesley Church - No flowers by request.

Boo

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 20:08 BST (UK) »
thank you very much for your help with Alfred,it is a great help,tom

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 22:30 BST (UK) »
You are more than welcome Tom

We all need a little help now and then, I've had super help from these boards over the years and its nice to be able to offer to help others in a small way in return :-)

Boo

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 March 23 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,thank you for your help with Susann McLean,it was a great help.I have looked on Irish Genealogy for a marriage for Susanna and Alexander Coates with no success.I have most of her children etc,but no Susanna.Can any one help with this,I will also try this question on Dublin post and try the post with husband Alexander Coates,thank you in advance,tom