Author Topic: France, Paris, 1732 death/will  (Read 647 times)

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
France, Paris, 1732 death/will
« on: Tuesday 05 October 21 22:32 BST (UK) »
I hope someone can help me.

I have found an Irish newspaper report dated 28th Dec 1732 stating that a Charles Theophrastus D'Assigny had died in Paris and left his "real and personal estate, which is considerable" to heirs in England or Jersey.

I have 2 quests -
1. How would I start looking for this Charles? I know who his heirs were, but not how they relate to him (and I don't know what they did with the money!). If Charles had a considerable fortune, including real estate, what documents could I search to possibly find him? Would a will still exist?

2. The heirs were Protestants and minsters in the Church of England. Would this indicate that Charles was also a Protestant, bearing in mind that France was a Catholic country? Would there have been legal objections to such a will from the French authorities?

Thank you.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: France, Paris, 1732 death/will
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. No matches, but a good source.