Author Topic: Bond in Latin 1680 Please Help!  (Read 157 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Bond in Latin 1680 Please Help!
« on: Wednesday 06 October 21 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a copy of a Bond relating to the recantation of Hugh Beavan of Battle Breconshire from his Catholic Faith in 1680 It is annexed to his Will of the same date. It is on-line at the Library of Wales Wills.

FindMyPast has an Edward Hugh as one of the Bondsmen in a typed transcript of the parties to this Will.

I can't find this Edward Hugh except for a possibility in the attached document underlined in red.

I would like to know if it refers to a Edwardii Hugh, abbreviated to Edwi Hugh.

Also the gist of the document if possible.

Thanks!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :)

Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bond in Latin 1680 Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 12:58 BST (UK) »
The document (as posted) is not a bond. It is a declaration signed by a notary public, Richard Jones, stating that John Roberts of Battle, in the county of Brecon, executor of the will of Hugh Bevan of Battle, is unable to come to court to swear the probate because he is unwell. Instead, Edward Hugh (or Hughes?), gentleman, who is legally representing Roberts in court, has submitted Robertsí sealed undertaking, and asks that probate be granted on that basis, and the court has agreed that it is sufficient. Dated 3 January 1680/81.

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Re: Bond in Latin 1680 Please Help!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Bookbox

Thanks for your help!

Yeas, I think that satisfies my requirements. The will is interesting because Hugh Beavan may have been a relative, Pugh is (of course) a patronymic of ap Hugh.

The recantation document and the Will are interesting in that they even altered his Will after recantation!

All the best!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser