Author Topic: Edward Gibbons 1881 census  (Read 977 times)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Gibbons 1881 census
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 October 21 03:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Maiden Stone. I was thinking in terms of locating Hannah's husband name. If it is Thomas Ratcliffe, then this could very well be the Elizabeth that Seasider seeks. I cannot however find the husband/father's name. In 1841 he doesn't appear in census with Hannah and 1851 she is widow.

Offline seasider

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 October 21 16:00 BST (UK) »
I have always thought the possibility that Elizabeth was born in Oldham Lancashire. On the 1851 census it gives Elizabeth Ratcliffe age 50
Thomas  age 46
Elizabeth age 6 born 1845
Which would make her around 16 at the time of her marriage. I have'nt found this family in 1841 or 1861. With the parents being older I thought there could be more children and lines that might be a DNA match with me.
Maiden Stone: I read the interesting article on Fishing Fleets to India, and now just thinking that could be the case with Elizabeth. Edward Gibbons signed up for the army in 1855 so it's unlikely that he new Elizabeth before then. I'm wondering if I should send for the Birth certificate for Elizabeth from Oldham?

Offline seasider

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 October 21 16:07 BST (UK) »
I have just found a birth for Elizabeth Ratcliffe 1845 on Lancs. BMD which gives Mother's maiden name as Hancock.