Author Topic: any Ancestry experts able to help with Now What after receiving DNA results?  (Read 309 times)

Offline Fredsboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
any Ancestry experts able to help with Now What after receiving DNA results?
« on: Wednesday 06 October 21 18:15 BST (UK) »
I am pretty accomplished with multiple softwares but Ancestery is so unintuitive. I have received a DNA result which seems to give  a few new leads but absolutely no clue what to with it next. It offers a list of 'relatives' but no obvious means of contacting anyone or what the correct protocol is. The help is pretty helpless with really difficult navigation.
Appreciate any help from someone who feels they can navigate Ancestry.
Paul
Aguirra, Howell, Weatherby, Mady

Offline Jo6100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: any A*****Y experts able to help with Now What after receiving DNA results?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 20:32 BST (UK) »
If you click on the person’s name in the list of matches it will take you to a page with your name and their initials. Their user name should also appear, maybe with their photo. There is a box there with “ message “. You can send them a message asking about your connection - they may or may not reply. Not everyone does family history even if they’ve done a dna test.  This page will also show, their tree if they have one, ethnicity - you can see what Ancestry thinks is shared heritage. There’s also shared matches - you might recognise some of the people who share dna with you and the person.
Another option is to click the person’s name, when you’ve arrived at the initial page described above. This takes you to their account profile page and gives you a bit more information about them and their ancestry interests - assuming they’ve filled it in. It’s also got a message button. Hope this helps.
Jo

Offline Fredsboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: any Ancestry experts able to help with Now What after receiving DNA results?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 21:13 BST (UK) »
thank you Jo, I'll give it a  try again

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: any Ancestry experts able to help with Now What after receiving DNA results?
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 October 21 11:53 BST (UK) »
Under their profile the three options are trees ethnicity and shared matches

Clicking on trees will show you if you have surnames in common and the surnames on their trees ...IF they have linked their tree to their dna results

Its worth looking at unlinked trees as you may recognize a name or location.

If no tree looking at your highest shared matches can indicate which side of your family they come from
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 October 21 12:08 BST (UK) »
The ethnicity option can also be useful
I have two second cousins who have not got trees but they match people who also match my Scottish aunt and like me have almost 50percent Scottish ancestry
One has 57percent irish ethnicity and i only have 3 Percent so if i contacted her i could say we match on the Scottish side .

This can be very useful if you have a grandparent of a specific ethnicity which differs from  your other grandparents but as Jo says depends what ancestry thinks your ethnicity is .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Fredsboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 October 21 13:15 BST (UK) »
Thx Brigid, I was hoping that as we have Guadalupe (West Indies) mums side and France dads side for some specific matches there I could work backwards with. I was pleased to see a Swanley link though (another little family secret....)
Paul