Author Topic: Birth of Harry Jolly  (Read 1315 times)

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Harry Jolly
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 October 21 12:28 BST (UK) »
I looked at the 1911 form and wondered if someone else had completed it for Alice (or Harry) to write over, and got some of the information mixed up. Do you know if Alice/Harry could read and write? I agree with you and jonw65 that 'Henry' and 'Corby' can't have come from thin air. The other question for me was their ages on the form (23 and 22), which would make them born late 1880s. What does Alice's birth certificate say, and what does their marriage certificate say about their ages when they got married?

It could also be useful to know if Harry himself claimed the link with Bungay, or whether it's only based on the census information. Does their granddaughter know?

Offline Lesleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 October 21 12:48 BST (UK) »
Wow! This is further than I've got in the last three years. I've looked at the censuses and, if this is our Harry, it means he had at least nine siblings - so much for him being an only child. I haven't been able to find his military record but I've been looking for Jolly, not Jolley and he seems to have dropped the Pridmore part of his name. It looks as thought the Hussar dates of 1914-1920 were also incorrect. I'm very grateful to you all for taking so much time with this. I'm now going to explore all this information and throw all the family's pre-conceived ideas out of the window until I can verify them!

Lesleyann

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 October 21 12:50 BST (UK) »
The only birth certificate I would be getting is that of Harry Pridmore Jolly Dec.1887 Oundle as he is looking more and more likely as 'your' man.

Harry and Alice don't seem too hot on ages - bc.1888 and bc1889 respectively in 1911 but in 1939 years given as 1885 and 1886!!!!

Whilst some often got their birth years wrong their 'birthdays' are usually correct, hence the Harry above looking extremely likely to me.

Since the 1911 census form was filled out by the householder themselves 'Corby' has to figure in somewhere and, as has been suggested, looks like birthplaces written long way round.  Corby where Harry had been living before (although not actually where he was born) and Bungay where Alice had been living (although she not actually born there either).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 October 21 13:16 BST (UK) »
Googling 7th Hussars finds them stationed in Norwich from 1905 on their return from the Boer War, so I think this is your man.

Offline Lesleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 October 21 13:20 BST (UK) »
Alice's birth cert says 1889 and they are both 21 on the marriage cert. The Bungay birthplace for Harry comes from the 1911 census and family hearsay. I've just contacted my cousin with this information.

Lesleyann

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 October 21 17:36 BST (UK) »
There were marriage announcements for Harry and Alice but unfortunately they don't have any new details.

Eastern Evening News
17 Jul 1907
page 2
Marriage
Jolly-Flatt
July 13, Harry Jolly to Alice Flatt, both of Norwich

Norfolk Chronicle
20 Jul 1907
page 1
Marriage
Jolly-Flatt
July 13th, Harry Jolly to Alice Flatt, both of Norwich

Assuming Harry is son of John Thomas Jolly and Mary Jane Pridmore, then his paternal grandparents would be Samuel Jolly and Ann baker. There's a lovely newspaper item for Ann.

Peterborough Standard
12 Sep 1908
page 8, column 5
Woodnewton
Active At Eighty-Eight
Hale and hearty at 88 is Mrs Ann Jolly, of Woodnewton, to whom a representative of this journal was introduced a day or two ago. Mrs Jolly, who resides with her blind daughter, has been a widow for 38 years. "I do the washing for myself and daughter," said Mrs Jolly; "and," she added proudly, "I have been digging potatoes this morning!" The lady, who is a native of Washingley, regularly attends Church and gets about well with a stick. Last year her sister - Mrs Elizabeth Davis, of Benefield - died, in her 91st year. Mrs Jolly has five children alive, her eldest son, Mr John Thos. Jolly, of Corby, being in his 59th year.

The unnamed daughter would be Sophia, who died in 1935. There's a newspaper item about her death and funeral, but unfortunately no mention of Harry amongst the mourners.

Peterborough Standard
26 Jul 1935
page 24
Deaths
Jolly
At Woodnewton, Jul 18, Sophia Jolly, 72

Peterborough Standard
26 Jul 1935
page 23
Woodnewton
Funeral of Miss Jolly
- The funeral took place at St Mary's Church on Monday,
- of a much respected inhabitant in the person of
- Miss Sophia Jolly
- Her death occurred at Peterborough Hospital
- on Thursday after a short illness,
- at the age of 72 years
- Miss Jolly, who was of a quiet and kindly disposition,
- will be greatly missed by her many friends
[continues, with list of mourners, floral tributes and description of coffin]
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Lesleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 October 21 18:08 BST (UK) »
That is lovely.  Thank you so much for that. I've been looking for the early death of one of the children of John and Mary Jane.  The 1911 census says they had ten children and one has died. I've found the ten children and I wondered if the one who died young was Sophia but obviously not reading that. I've spent nearly all day on this - as have many of you - and what a lot you've discovered!

Lesleyann

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 October 21 18:21 BST (UK) »
I think it was Agnes (twin of Florence?) that had died.

1878 Q3 Birth - Agnes Annie Jolly (mmn: Pridmore); Oundle; 03B; 227
1878 Q3 Death - Agnes Annie Jolly; age 0 (born c1878); Oundle; 03B; 137

The Sophia who died in 1935 was (likely) the daughter of Samuel and Ann, so Harry's aunt.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson