Author Topic: 1605 Will for Marmaduke Scatchard of Otley  (Read 668 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1605 Will for Marmaduke Scatchard of Otley
« on: Friday 08 October 21 14:36 BST (UK) »
This is the first of four wills I have for this period, and is the shortest. I have made an attempt to transcribe it and have got as far as follows:

In dei noie [In the name of God] Amen the two and twenty day of April in the third yeare of the reigne of our sovrigne
Lord James by the grace of God King of England ffrance and Ireland defender of the faith
[etc?] and of Scotland the thirtie and eight I Marmaduke Scatchard of Powle in the County
of York husbandman sicke of bodie but [sounde?] of mynde and of good and perfect remembrance
praise be to almightie god do make and ordayne this my last testament confirming therein
my last will as ffollowess ffirst and principallie I give and bequeath my soule to
almightie god my maker and to Jesus Christ my savioure and my bodie to be buried in the
[??] earthe of Otley at the discretion of my ffriends Item my will is that all my goods
And c[h]attells moveable and unmoveable be equally divided into [five?] pts [parts] my [??] [??]
th[e] appurtennc[e]s onlie excepted [??] I give and bequeath to Margaret [??] my wife during all
the termes and [space?] that I have yet unexpired in the same Item I give and bequeath to Margt
my said wife one pts [part] of my foresaid goods Item I give and bequeath to Bridgett my youngest daughter and her
pte [part] of my said goods that is to say the second pte [part] Item my will is to be [??] brought
ffirstly of the ffirst pte [part] Item my will is that all my funeral expences paid and discharged
the residue I give and bequeath by legacie as followeth ffirst I give and bequeath to
Margaret my daughter [??] wife of Edward Stain[??] one cow in full [satisfaction?] and
payment of all per filiall [??] Item I give and bequeath to Allice Stanfield my
granddaughter one [??] qui[?] or heffer Item I give and bequeath all the rest of my goods
not bequeathed to Margaret my said wife whome I make my sole executrix of this my
last will and testament That being witnesses William [??] and William Wharton
[??] die et anno [??] decamus …

Any help to decipher the missing (or any incorrect)w ords would be very much appreciated. Also, the final few lines in Latin.

I am a little puzzled by the reference to the marriage of Marmaduke's daughter Margaret to Edward Stainsffeild as the Otley PRs have him as John, not Edward, confirmed by the baptism entry for Alice. Am I misreading Edward?

I think I have covered all the questionable bits with clips, but I can post more if required. The image is from the Borthwick Archives, so it's use is covered by copyright caveats otherwise I would have pasted the whole thing.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1605 Will for Marmaduke Scatchard of Otley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 October 21 15:18 BST (UK) »
First two images:

&c = etc

...but whole of mynd...

...p(ar)ish church earth of Ottley...

...into thre p(ar)t(es) my tennem(en)t* w(i)th
thappurten(a)nc(es) onlie excepted w(hi)ch I give...

*  It could be argued that this is:  ten(a)nem(en)t

...the terme and space that I...

...^Bridgett^ my youngest ^daughter^ another
p(ar)te of my..........be honestlie brought...

At this stage I'm not sure what is happening between Margaret and my wife.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 October 21 15:22 BST (UK) »
At this stage I'm not sure what is happening between Margaret and my wife.

It appears this is:    ...Margaret now my wife...

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 October 21 15:40 BST (UK) »
Third image:

Your transcript jumps a line or lines between image 2 and image 3.

...Margaret my daughter now wife of Thomas Stainfeild one cow in full satisfacc(i)on and
payment of all her filiall child porc(i)on...

You have jumped a bequest to Marie Smith here.

...one browne quie or heffer...

First witness surname is:    Wath

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 October 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've just realised that after

fillial child porcion

should come

Item I give and bequeath to Marie Smith  wife
of William Smith of [??] one cowe
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 October 21 15:54 BST (UK) »
...Smith of Weston...

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 October 21 16:07 BST (UK) »
Here's a rough translation of the Latin bit at the end.

And the same day and year, the said dean certified regarding the probate of this will through the named witnesses on oath, and administration of the goods of the same deceased was granted to Margaret Scatchard, relict of the said deceased, the sole executrix named in the said will, having first been sworn, &c., with power reserved ...

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 October 21 16:23 BST (UK) »
Anyone any idea what a "browne quie" might be  :-\

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 October 21 17:47 BST (UK) »
quie is the same word as whye or wye.

See goldie's Reply #5 here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=734270.msg5796284#msg5796284