Author Topic: HELP!! Looking for Hardys in Tipperary  (Read 777 times)

Offline smckeag

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP!! Looking for Hardys in Tipperary
« on: Friday 08 October 21 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi all!

Although I have been searching for my family for almost 2 years, I am still relatively new at this and feel I am looking through the same records over and over again and I can't seem to link anything together. I have tried all archives (Canada and Ireland) but I can't pinpoint anything there, either, so I was hoping there would be someone - ANYONE - who may have some information that I could use!

Here's the sitch:

I have been trying to locate a Francis Hardy that moved from Tipperary, Ireland (many records indicate it was Templemore) and arrived in Canada in 1830 at the Quebec Port and then settled in a place called Bowesville. Although I have been able to find almost ALL the records for him in Canada, I cannot link him to Ireland. There are SO MANY Francis Hardys in Ireland/England that I can't definitively link anyone to anything. I have found ONE baptism record in Ireland saying Francis was baptized in 1811 (but other records indicate his actual birth date as 1809 - but they were Protestant so it's possible. In Canada, they were practicing Methodists), and it states that his father was Francis Hardy and his mother Mary Hardy. I had always assumed he came to Canada alone (or with a sibling). He arrived in 1830 and in 1836 he married a Jane Marie Armstrong from Ireland (a descendent of the Carews and the Armstrongs of Ireland).

I bought a book at the historical society for my city which has a 4-page spread on my Hardy family as they were considered Pioneers of Bowesville/Ottawa. In the book, it actually states that Francis came here in his twenties with his father, Francis Sr., and his mother, Sarah Brown. And that Francis Sr's other children (Francis Junior's siblings) came a little later - Robert to Hull, Quebec, William to Ogdensburg, and Elizabeth who stayed in Ireland.

I have tried to trace all the kids - everything - but as soon as I get to Ireland, I hit a road block. I have attempted searching for Hardy, Hardey, Hardye, Harti, Harty, Hart, Hearty, and MacHardy - NOTHING. I've used ancestry, family search, geni, genewiki, ireland roots, ireland genealogy....

Is there anyone out there who can help me?! Anyone at all!? I am about to give up - it's been 2 years that I can't find anything! But Hardy is the line I want to trace (I have traced everyone leading up to the Hardys from 1400s on, but as soon as I get to the Hardys, I can't go any further than 1830. HELP!!

If it would help, you can check out my ancestry page for more info. https://www.ancestry.ca/family-tree/tree/168929693/family?cfpid=232195952408

Thank you in advance!

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!! Looking for Hardys in Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 October 21 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
He was born on the 10th December 1809 in Templemore.
I did this some years ago for I think Robert's family.
I think Mary the Mother was Mary Troy.
I tried to find Elizabeth but I don't think I had any luck with her.
Once I do a search and send it out I delete it from my PC.
I know there was a Sarah Hardy married to a Caleb Mason, her grave is in Modreeny she died in 1784 she was 25 years old.
Maggsie

Offline smckeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 October 21 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
He was born on the 10th December 1809 in Templemore.
I did this some years ago for I think Robert's family.
I think Mary the Mother was Mary Troy.
I tried to find Elizabeth but I don't think I had any luck with her.
Once I do a search and send it out I delete it from my PC.
I know there was a Sarah Hardy married to a Caleb Mason, her grave is in Modreeny she died in 1784 she was 25 years old.
Maggsie

Thank you for this but that information has never worked for me. When I first "found" Francis Hardy (I call him Francis 1811 LOL), that was the information I got. His name was Francis E. Hardy  and he was born/baptized in 1809; his father was Francis Hardy and his mother as Mary Troy. But once I plug in that information, it goes no further. I can't find a Mary Troy ANYWHERE. Ancestry is insisting it's Mary Troy, but there are no records to indicate this (do you know where you may have found that it was Mary Troy?).

Also, when I "found" this Francis, the "E" seemed to stand for Evans but the only "Evans" in the family was Ada Elizabeth Evans Massey who was the wife of Hugh Massey III from 1685 to 1164. I DID, however, have a Mary Evans who married Robert Hardy - but he is the daughter of a John Hardy and Anne Bowler in the late 1600s (and I have yet to definitively link them to my line as I can't get any further than Francis 1811).

Francis Hardy (Senior) and Mary Troy as parents give me absolutely nothing. I have been unable to find ANY records that prove their link. But then again, neither does Francis Hardy and Sarah Brown.....UGH!!

If you somehow remember where you found some of the documents, I would love to know.

HOWEVER - I have also been obsessively trying to find another Caleb and another Joshua (since their names show up only after Francis 1811 but I KNOW they had to have come from someone before them) so this Sarah Hardy and Caleb Mason could be something....

Also....can I ask - are you a genealogist?

Thanks again for your reply!

Offline smckeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 October 21 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

OH MY GOD!! You have saved some of my sanity! I went to look at the Sarah Hardy grave, and although I didn't find her at the Modreeny Cemetery (although I found a document about it that mentions Sarah Hardy Mason but I haven't read through it yet) I DID find a James North Hardy. When I was on my search for a Joshua and Caleb, I found a Caleb North and a Joshua North and did everything I could to link them to my family (John Hardy and Sarah North), but I never knew if it was legit or if I was just making it up. BUT I FOUND A JAMES NORTH HARDY!! So I now know FOR SURE that they linked. So although I haven't yet found my Francis 1811 - I DID find the link between the Norths and the Hardys which makes me one happy camper!! I KNEW I was right!! haha

Thank you!!

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 October 21 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, you ask
Also....can I ask - are you a genealogist?
No sorry I am not.
I know the area and know where to look.
I am sending you a Private Message on how to find your information.
Maggsie