Author Topic: Searching Rose Kneen nee Byrne Isle of Man  (Read 519 times)

Offline Marty2021

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching Rose Kneen nee Byrne Isle of Man
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 October 21 20:09 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage?    https://manxbmd.com/cgi-bin/db.cgi though can t find a corresponding Kneen groom.

Cathy

Possibly married William Henry Bridson 1958 (same ref?)
1968  marriage Rose Bridson , same ref? Thomas Henry Kneen.
Thank you so much

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 October 21 21:14 BST (UK) »
Do you have details of a gravestone?
If not, I may be able to find a location and an inscription.

Let me know ;)
No that's why this search started originally. We were trying to find where she's buried so we could visit. You've been great, thanks so much.

The library at the Manx Museum holds burial records (the ones I have stop in the early 1980s) and Monumental Inscriptions.
The library is closed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
So I will take a peek on Wednesday.

It's just a 10-15 minute walk from my flat :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Marty2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 October 21 21:40 BST (UK) »
Do you have details of a gravestone?
If not, I may be able to find a location and an inscription.

Let me know ;)
No that's why this search started originally. We were trying to find where she's buried so we could visit. You've been great, thanks so much.

The library at the Manx Museum holds burial records (the ones I have stop in the early 1980s) and Monumental Inscriptions.
The library is closed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
So I will take a peek on Wednesday.

It's just a 10-15 minute walk from my flat :D
Oh that's amazing. That's so kind of you to go out of your way. We really appreciate it.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mami 1924 - 2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 October 21 22:56 BST (UK) »
There is this info on the Isle of Man, Burial Index, 1598-2003

Rose Kneen
Burial Date 12 Mar 1985
Burial Place Malew, Isle of Man

And husband,

Thomas Kneen
Burial Date 24 Jun 1982

For those with access/subs to Ancestry, there is a family tree for Thomas Kneen here www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/32768368/person/18326067491/facts  From this, the reference given for the burial is Rushen churchyard 1926 yard reference 777. A photo is included of the gravestone.

On the family tree linked above there is a photo of Rose and Thomas, also a photo and details on Thomas's first wife Elsie Monaghan. She died in 1967, the year before Thomas and Rose married. Thomas and Rose were buried with Elsie. All three are recorded on the gravestone.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marty2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 October 21 09:25 BST (UK) »
There is this info on the Isle of Man, Burial Index, 1598-2003

Rose Kneen
Burial Date 12 Mar 1985

And husband,

Thomas Kneen
Burial Date 24 Jun 1982

For those with access/subs to Ancestry, there is a family tree for Thomas Kneen here www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/32768368/person/18326067491/facts  From this, the reference given for the burial is Rushen churchyard 1926 yard reference 777. A photo is included of the gravestone.

One the family tree linked above there is a photo of Rose and Thomas, also a photo and details on Thomas's first wife Elsie Monaghan. She died in 1967, the year before Thomas and Rose married. Thomas and Rose were buried with Elsie. All three are recorded on the gravestone.

Monica
Hi Monica, thanks for taking the time to search. I had a look at the link, This is a different Rose though unfortunately. Our Rose was 66 when she passed away.
Best regards

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mami 1924 - 2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 October 21 15:00 BST (UK) »

According to Family Search Rose was buried on 12 March 1985 at Castletown, Isle of Man.  Her birth year is given as 1919.

These details match the gravestone inscription I mentioned from that family tree. She died on 6 March and was buried on 12 March 1985 as mentioned by GG. From what GG mentioned, she would have been aged 66 or so at her time of death.

I think the tree mentioned in correct in other respects but not so Rose  :-\ I would suggest tree owner has not done much research on her unfortunately. They show Rose with the maiden name of Bridson rather than Byrne. They have searched a little and found a Rose Bridson born 1889 on the IOM and grabbed on to that.

Possible marriage?    https://manxbmd.com/cgi-bin/db.cgi though can t find a corresponding Kneen groom.

Cathy

I think Cathy's details are likely the ones you have to focus on for now. Would be good for you to check both marriages and confirm the details for Rose from these. Her father's name would be a good start for you to follow up on I suggest.

There is a small family tree for a daughter to a Rose Byrne. Daughter died in Dublin. Is this your mother? If it is your mum, was there anything to help you establish more details for Rose from the birth registration (in Wandsworth?)? Did your mum live her early years with Rose and keep in touch with her?

Did your mum have any photos of Rose to help you compare with the photo on the family tree of Rose in her later years?

Rose's roots may well lie in Ireland.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mami 1924 - 2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 October 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
A clip from the gravestone for Thomas and Rose. The other half of the stone is a memorial for Thomas's first wife, Elsie:

Offline Marty2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 11:03 BST (UK) »

According to Family Search Rose was buried on 12 March 1985 at Castletown, Isle of Man.  Her birth year is given as 1919.

These details match the gravestone inscription I mentioned from that family tree. She died on 6 March and was buried on 12 March 1985 as mentioned by GG. From what GG mentioned, she would have been aged 66 or so at her time of death.

I think the tree mentioned in correct in other respects but not so Rose  :-\ I would suggest tree owner has not done much research on her unfortunately. They show Rose with the maiden name of Bridson rather than Byrne. They have searched a little and found a Rose Bridson born 1889 on the IOM and grabbed on to that.

Cathy

I think Cathy's details are likely the ones you have to focus on for now. Would be good for you to check both marriages and confirm the details for Rose from these. Her father's name would be a good start for you to follow up on I suggest.

There is a small family tree for a daughter to a Rose Byrne. Daughter died in Dublin. Is this your mother? If it is your mum, was there anything to help you establish more details for Rose from the birth registration (in Wandsworth?)? Did your mum live her early years with Rose and keep in touch with her?

Did your mum have any photos of Rose to help you compare with the photo on the family tree of Rose in her later years?

Rose's roots may well lie in Ireland.

Monica
Thanks Monica. She definitely died on the Isle of man, we know that. Born in Dublin but no idea what brought her to the Isle of man. My brother has requested a death cert so that might help.
Where did you see about the small family tree /daughter? I can't seem to find anything.
Kind regards, Martina

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 11:41 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm, the image says:-  aetatis 66, i.e. at the age of 66

So that gives a birth year of 1919 depending on when her birthday was.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire