Author Topic: Searching Rose Kneen nee Byrne Isle of Man  (Read 1875 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Searching Rose Kneen nee Byrne Isle of Man
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Martina

This is the small tree I came across on A/try www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/49121252/person/12960213687/facts  Is it not yours?

This is a useful guide as to what info is contained in Manx BMDs www.manxbmd.com/records.html

You will need to consider ordering one of her marriage certs perhaps to confirm at least her father's name to being to try to trace her family. Her death cert will not give you this unfortunately.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marty2021

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Martina

This is the small tree I came across on A/try www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/49121252/person/12960213687/facts  Is it not yours?

This is a useful guide as to what info is contained in Manx BMDs www.manxbmd.com/records.html

You will need to consider ordering one of her marriage certs perhaps to confirm at least her father's name to being to try to trace her family. Her death cert will not give you this unfortunately.

Monica
Thanks Monica. Yes that's my mother Josephine on that tree, its all correct.
We will try the marriage cert so. I suppose we thought the death cert might lead us to her burial place eventually, or help identify any other relatives.
Kind regards
Martina

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 20:14 BST (UK) »
From this, the reference given for the burial is Rushen churchyard 1926 yard reference 777. A photo is included of the gravestone....

On the family tree linked above there is a photo of Rose and Thomas, also a photo and details on Thomas's first wife Elsie Monaghan. She died in 1967, the year before Thomas and Rose married. Thomas and Rose were buried with Elsie. All three are recorded on the gravestone.

Monica

From the info earlier, this looks to be her burial details it seems. What do you think KGarrad?

You have the full picture of the gravestone (including Thomas's first wife's memorial) on the A/try tree linked earlier.

Did your mum have any photos of Rose to compare with the photo on the A/try tree for Rose, wife of Thomas?

Monica

Offline Marty2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 20:33 BST (UK) »
From this, the reference given for the burial is Rushen churchyard 1926 yard reference 777. A photo is included of the gravestone....

On the family tree linked above there is a photo of Rose and Thomas, also a photo and details on Thomas's first wife Elsie Monaghan. She died in 1967, the year before Thomas and Rose married. Thomas and Rose were buried with Elsie. All three are recorded on the gravestone.

Monica

From the info earlier, this looks to be her burial details it seems. What do you think KGarrad?

You have the full picture of the gravestone (including Thomas's first wife's memorial) on the A/try tree linked earlier.

Did your mum have any photos of Rose to compare with the photo on the A/try tree for Rose, wife of Thomas?

Monica
Yes we have a photo but its from the 60s/70s. Hard to tell. The Rose mentioned on the gravestone, with Elsie, she was born in 1889, which is not correct. Or could details on the Tree have been mixed up? And this gravestone is actually our Grandmother's?
Sorry for all my questions. This is all new to me ???

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 22:04 BST (UK) »
I do not think the details on the tree link are correct for Rose. They have her being born on the Isle of Mann in 1889 with a maiden name of Bridson. So, not correct.

I think the tree owner has gone by the marriage registration from 1968 where she did show as Bridson. I am guessing they don't have the original image of the marriage and have not been able to see that she is likely showing as either divorced or widowed and that her maiden name was Byrne. This is a common problem and you should only ever look at others' research as a possible clue, particularly where original key documents are not included.

But now I am guessing as I too have not seen any original documents!

From Cath earlier you have two possible marriages for her, with a Rose Byron showing as marrying a William Henry Bridson in 1958 and then a Rose Bridson marrying a Thomas Kneen in 1968.

You also have the burial details that GG has found which give Rose her correct age (66 in 1985 when she died, ie born c. 1919).The details GG posted were from the burial register. The gravestone details match what has been found so far.

You need now to really get some original documents to help you confirm and verify  :)

I think you are on the right trail to find out about Rose's later years. Her marriages will hopefully give you details to be able to identify her parents and siblings back in Ireland (you think she was originally from Dublin herself?).

Monica

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 14 October 21 14:56 BST (UK) »
I haven't forgotten you!

Manx Museum have no info, as it's too recent.
Contacted Bereavement Services (Douglas) - they have no records of Rose.
Now trying Bereavement Services in Castletown.

If no joy there, I will drive down to Kirk Rushen (on outskirts of Port St Mary) as the sexton was very helpful the last time I had a question.

I'll post an update as and when I get info.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 14 October 21 14:58 BST (UK) »
I do not think the details on the tree link are correct for Rose. They have her being born on the Isle of Mann in 1889 with a maiden name of Bridson. So, not correct.

Monica

Kneen and Bridson are 2 very common Manx surnames - very easy to get confused!
N.B. Bridson is pronounced "Bride-son". ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Marty2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 October 21 21:16 BST (UK) »
I haven't forgotten you!

Manx Museum have no info, as it's too recent.
Contacted Bereavement Services (Douglas) - they have no records of Rose.
Now trying Bereavement Services in Castletown.

If no joy there, I will drive down to Kirk Rushen (on outskirts of Port St Mary) as the sexton was very helpful the last time I had a question.

I'll post an update as and when I get info.
Thank you so much.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 15 October 21 13:29 BST (UK) »
As usual, the sexton was very helpful!
Rose is buried in the 1926 Yard at Rushen Cemetery; plot no 777.
This is a family plot.
The gravestone needs cleaning - something that Rushen Commissioners can arrange.

I have taken photos of the grave, close-ups of the 2 gravestones, and the MI transcription from the Manx Museum Library.

If you could send a PM with your email address, I will forward on the photos.
They are all more than 500kb.

But the MI Transcription is small enough.