Author Topic: Does anyone know what this word is in the Will (Welsh)  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know what this word is in the Will (Welsh)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 October 21 14:55 BST (UK) »
They're great!  I've spent hours looking around the area where I grew up and then moved on to the other 'ancestral places'  I even found some of my ancestors!

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline cjc1867

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 October 21 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for your help.

The farm sounds right as his family ran farms.

William's father was Richard Davies (b1766 d1846) and he had several farms near Llandybie, one farm was called Talarddfach and his wife Margaret (b1767?) is living there until she died in 1860.

Hywel (his family I am doing the research for) sent me this: 'Richard's name appears in the register of electors for 1833, and he appears to be letting Caemaen and another two farms while living at Merdy Newydd'. I still haven't found that document.

Hywel did his family tree at the time before internet, so his documents he has, he had to hand write them.

William's brother, John Davies had a farm at Pen Y Parc on Lord Dynevor's estate in 1841 and 1851 Census. Don't know if he was still there in 1861 as some of the 1861 census for Llandyfeisant are missing.

Now I need to look for William with that extra information and maybe I can find him in 1841 and 1851 census and further.

Colin

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 October 21 15:42 BST (UK) »
1841 Census
I searched  FindMyPast for William Davies, location Llanfihangel Aberbythych which delivered 4 possibles.
Think your William is one of them - but the farm name not quite transcribed as "Llettywiren" or "Lletty'r ywen" but the original image looks very much like like "Llettywiren".
The Census entry before William "fits" the details under Tithe Maps where I found William Davies".

Offline cjc1867

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 October 21 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just searching the 1841 Census just for a William Davies and 646 came up for Carmarthenshire.

This one looked similar 'Llellyruen, Llanfihangel Aberbythych, Llandilofawr', so I had a look at the original document.

See attached image and to me it looks like it could be the William Davies (b1808) I am looking for and his job is a farmer.

What do you think?

Colin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 October 21 15:50 BST (UK) »
I read it as Lettyrwen* with the ts uncrossed.

* missed the second l    -   Llettyrwen

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 October 21 15:59 BST (UK) »
The David Griffiths that precedes William on the Census is also on the Tithe Maps under "Lletty'r ywen"

Offline cjc1867

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 October 21 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think we have the right William Davies as the images on the Will and 1841 Census look almost identical.

At least now I have a birth year to play with. Although on the Will, it mentioned David (b??), William, Anne (b1806) and John (b1809). I would have thought this was oldest to youngest, although the birth years could be out.

Poor John was left all of his father's clothes as well as £1 but not sure if it was £1 per year or just a £1. With Anne it just mentioned the same £1 and her husband Evan Davies.

It's a pity the Tithe maps don't show a date when they were there at that farm...

Got to find him now in the other Censuses.

Thanks very much again for your help.

Colin

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 October 21 16:28 BST (UK) »
1851 reference  HO107  247  539  4

Don't search with a YoB - quite different to 1841

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 October 21 16:38 BST (UK) »

It's a pity the Tithe maps don't show a date when they were there at that farm...

Colin

If you check the Tithe Map that identifies William's holdings as "No 40" and scroll down to the foot of the page it will give you a year.