Author Topic: Life As A Single Mother in 1940's Lancashire  (Read 2554 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Life As A Single Mother in 1940's Lancashire
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 10 October 21 20:00 BST (UK) »

I have found a second surname recorded against a lady who I know was only married once. By 1939 she was already married and her husband is registered at the same address but alongside her surname is the name thought to be that of the father of her child born about ten years later, shortly after her divorce.

I understand that married or changes in names were later added to the register but why would it record the name of an illegitimate child's father as this made the affair known? Under what circumstance would the father's name be required to be known as they never married? Would he have to be declared for any legal purpose, say child support,  or for health treatment which would then be required to be added to the register?

One website transcribes the name as, for example, Joan Smith, Smith  where another Joan Smith (Smith ??)

Any clues as to why this name was recorded when he was pretty much hushed up, as in most cases, would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards.

I just reread this. Perhaps she lived with the father of the child as man and wife -hence the change of name.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register Surname
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 16:22 BST (UK) »
Unless we can see the written entry, we can't really tell and RC rules prevent us from investigating the original as you've not seen it.

I don't think there's any harm in telling us the name, place and other details as the OP clearly already has them.
This isn't a look-up request.

This topic has also ended up under Lancashire.  It would be better to move it back to the Common Room, as the location is irrelevant.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 16:56 BST (UK) »
Unless we can see the written entry, we can't really tell and RC rules prevent us from investigating the original as you've not seen it.

I don't think there's any harm in telling us the name, place and other details as the OP clearly already has them.

Surely it is up to the OP to post the information if they want to. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
And remember that where the parent's surnames were different, the registration will appear twice in the index, under each surname.  But there will only be one entry.

The name is registered with the mother's married name and her maiden name is recorded. There is no duplicate entry.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Life As A Single Mother in 1940's Lancashire
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 17:06 BST (UK) »

Quite. Also it is likely to involve living people which is against RC's policy.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 17:25 BST (UK) »

This topic has also ended up under Lancashire.  It would be better to move it back to the Common Room, as the location is irrelevant.

As I very much appreciate the help and enthusiasm to solve the puzzle I have obtained the information I was looking for. It's now a process of elimination with probably quite a bit of speculation.

As the post does involve a living person I can't post any further details. Also it wouldn't advance the search.

Thank you

;D ;D
Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 22:32 BST (UK) »

Of course.  My post was partly addressed to her, if indirectly. 
My point stands - it wasn't a request for a look-up.  But I see this has been resolved off-thread.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 22:41 BST (UK) »
And remember that where the parent's surnames were different, the registration will appear twice in the index, under each surname.  But there will only be one entry.
The name is registered with the mother's married name and her maiden name is recorded. There is no duplicate entry.

We were discussing the use of surnames at registration, and my post was general information relevant to that, since some people appeared to be under a misapprehension.