Author Topic: Old maps of UK with easy access!  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old maps of UK with easy access!
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 October 21 15:02 BST (UK) »
Try General Roy's military maps, lowland, 1747-1755.

https://maps.nls.uk/roy/

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 07:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, I'll have a go at the custom maps, thanks Cuffie81! Last night I tried using the measuring tool on NLS and that was working well. But google will probably work better since I'm not familiar so many counties. (improving all the time).
Ill take a look at the military maps too, thanks Skoosh. I haven't seen those yet!

Cheers all,
JT
HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 11:50 BST (UK) »
Don't forget Old Maps Online
https://www.oldmapsonline.org/

Also Bing Maps gives free access to Ordnance Survey Maps, but possibly only if you are in the UK
https://www.bing.com/maps/

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 12:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Melba_Schmelba,
I've seen old maps online so will use them if the nls overlay ones are getting too complicated _ I've worked out that if I use the measuring tools on the overlay and type in the place I'm looking for I can draw lines to a central point, each place can add to the previous image so I end up with a range of places all scattered around Kilsyth as the central point. Thats working for now :) and thanks for the bingmaps hint, if the others aren't serving the purpose I'll give it a go.
Thanks for the ideas!
Cheers, JT
HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.