Author Topic: Convict - general query  (Read 461 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Convict - general query
« on: Saturday 09 October 21 07:09 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find any document that shows if a convict could read &/or write.
(He arrived NSW 1820)

I have various Musters, census etc for him but apart from his marriage signature, which shows he signed with an "X", I can't see if this info was ever recorded.

I'm guessing that I'm missing a NSW Convict record somewhere as I found him to be an executor of a will in the 1850's (and therefore assume he could at least read). 

Don't need anyone to look for his details as I'm happy to spend time doing that but if anyone could suggest anywhere to look for the query "Can Read/Write", I'd appreciate a suggestion or 2.

Many thanks
Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Convict - general query
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 October 21 07:49 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Have you looked for the Surgeon's journal for voyage bringing convict here?  Sometimes there are comments showing if a school was set up on voyage for those who could not R/W.

Did convict witness any marriages ... sign or mark

Does convict indent record R or R/W or none ....

Clergymen assumed so pointed to spot on parish register and said "Mark here".

Trove has the digitised AJCP readily available, includes surgeons journals

Did convict live NSW and survive past March 1856 when civil registration commenced, and informant's details including sign/Mark needed on BDM

Will think more, later.   8) 8) 8)

ADD 

Did convict petition re land .... Col Sec records...

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 October 21 08:01 BST (UK) »
I think i have seen comments about reading and writing on convict indents, and maybe mentioned on certificates of freedom, and perhaps prison records too. Hard to remember exactly where, without looking for a specific name.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 October 21 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions JM & Neale

You're correct in that later Convict Indents (post abt 1830+) included Read/Write question. These were the typed documents so they're easier to read. Unfortunately the earlier hand written Indents aren't quite as comprehensive.

I also have CofF for lots of my ancestors and no R/W is mentioned - although that might say something about my ancestors!!

JM - Interesting suggestion re witnessing marriages - I'll have a look thru Marsden's records.
 - Nothing extra on Col Sec's records.
 - Convict died 1862. Last child died 1851 when his wife died .... ohhh, errr I wonder if he signed anything re death cert for wife??? (do you sign anything when you're the informant for a death?)

You've given me some new leads to follow - thanks.

I appreciate your help - I'll keep searching

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 October 21 11:44 BST (UK) »
Oh darn it - just realised his wife died pre 1856 so probably no actual records of informant etc.

Back to the drawing board  :D

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 October 21 11:53 BST (UK) »

Were his children literate? Generally speaking, literate parents would have literate children. Illiterate children are not so likely to have literate parents.

At marriage, where you have groom signing with his mark, does the bride also record her mark, or does she sign?.

Sometimes a literate partner will record their mark rather than sign so as not to make the illiterate spouse feel awkward about not being able to write - a kindly consideration.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 October 21 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi wivenhoe  - All their children were educated which was good to see that early in Oz history. Bride & groom plus both witnesses all had signed X so maybe a "mark" made by first to sign was just copied by everyone else.

I think I've found a couple of Land transactions so will look into those a bit further.

Thanks for your help