Author Topic: Will of Leonard Scatchard, 1612  (Read 778 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will of Leonard Scatchard, 1612
« on: Saturday 09 October 21 13:05 BST (UK) »
Next, the will of Leonard Scatchard of Otley, made in 1612. I was hoping that my ability to decipher secretary hand was improving, but clearly I still have quite some way to go :) On this one I have so far:

In dei noie [In the name of god] Amen The second day of December in the year of our
Lord god 1612 I Leonard Scatchard of Otley [??] and sicklie of bodie but of
good and pefect minde and memorie god be praised do ordaine constitute and
make this my last will and testament in manner and fforme following ffirst
and foremost I comend my soule to Jesus Christ my redeemer and my bodie to
be buried and [intered?] at the discretion of my Executor hereafter named & fourth[??]
my goods I dispose thus ffirst I give & bequeath to Robert Scatchard my naturall
brother my bleu Cloake my best hatt two shirts my best britches then I give
and bequeath to Christopher Scatchard [??] [??] ffrancis West my brothers
sonne iiij [??] x [??] Item I give and bequeath to my man George Bettison my best
ffustian dublitt my best [??] a paire of shooes Item I give to my godsonne
Leonard Burton my workday dublitt a paire of britches and one paire of
shooes The rest of my goods and Chattells unbequeathed my ffuneral expences
defraid and discharged I give and bequeath to Katherine Scatchard my loving
wife and I make the said Katherine my wife sole Executor of this my last
will and testament [duly?] [??] I have putt into the hands of Richard Branson
of ffarneley xx [?pounds] four ye [behoofe?] of Elizabeth Scatchard and the said
Richard Branson hath made me an assignement forth of one [tenement?] [where she?]
doth now [dwell?] in for the differance thereof unto the said Elizabeth my sonnes daughter
my full minde meaning and will is that the said benefit shall come to the benefit of
Katherine my wife and Christopher Scatchard my brothers sonne or their assignes [??]
if she die before the aige of xvi yeares These being witnesses Marmaduke fflatherd [?Scatchard]
Thomas Manson Et [??] die Septembris Anno dui [?...?] fortis [??]
[??] fuit Adminnistrato [??]
[??] Katherine Scatchard vidue [?…?]

I have attached clips of the bits I can't quite make out - I hope I've covered all the relevent bits.

The latin part at the bottom I assume is stating that Leonard's wife Katherine was granted administration.

I suspect the fflatherd is a mis-copying of Scatchard, and which makes me wonder if Marmaduke may be related to Leonard, possibly another brother? I am also assuming here that the image of the will I have is actually a copy of the original made when admistratioin was granted.

I recently came across A treatise of testaments and last wills, fifth edition, by Henry Swinburne, a Judge of the Prerogative Court at York, whilst researching a phrase from a previous will. This looks to be a very interesting book, and I will certainly be getting a copy when funds permit. Looking for the "filial child portion" brings up a lengthy treatise on the custom within Yorkshire.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Leonard Scatchard, 1612
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 October 21 18:19 BST (UK) »
...of Otley Ceasie* and sicklie...

*  Could possibly be Ceafie.  Either way it's a new one on me.

...named & touchinge
my good(es)...

...blew Cloake...

...dwellinge w(i)th ffrancis west my brothers
sonne iiijto xs...

I read this as quarto 10 shillings - presumably 40 shillings.

...best stockinges...

...testament And whereas I have...

Richard's name is probably Bawson.  Certainly it ends -awson.

...xxli for ye behoofe...   [= 20 pounds]

...one Tenement w(hi)ch he
doth now dwell in for the Assurance...

...Assignes severallie...

...Marmaduke fflathers...

In my opinion this isn't a copying error.  It's too different.

ADDED:

Note that in image #2 Robert and Christopher's surnames appear to be written Scathyard with a yogh in the fourth last position.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 October 21 18:26 BST (UK) »
A few more suggestions:

... of Otley Ceasid and sicklie ... (= seized, overcome by disease)

.... sonne iiijli xs (= 4 pounds 10 shillings)

Richard Pawson (common Yorkshire surname).

Agree with fflathers.

ADDED
Probate was granted on 30 September 1613, and administration to Katherine, the widow, the sole executor, who was sworn, saving the rights of anyone else etc.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 October 21 18:40 BST (UK) »
... of Otley Ceasid and sicklie ... (= seized, overcome by disease)

I can't agree that it ends with a d.  It matches perfectly with sicklie and doesn't match other final ds.

Maybe it's a form of queasy.  The dictionary says queasy derives from late Middle English queisy, coisy.

However, I agree on that first amount of money.  Even though it looks quite like to it makes far more sense read as li.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 October 21 18:51 BST (UK) »
I can't agree that it ends with a d.  It matches perfectly with sicklie and doesn't match other final ds.

Maybe it's a form of queasy.  The dictionary says queasy derives from late Middle English queisy, coisy.

You could be right. Under queasy, OED has subsidiary meanings linked to being unsettled, troubled, characterized by discord or a lack of harmony.

Odd, though, that we’ve never seen it in a will before.

Offline Richard A Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 October 21 23:58 BST (UK) »
Regarding the word before "and sicklie", if it wasn't for the fact that the word is not recognisable, I don't think there would be any doubt about any of the letters in the word, which are clear and exactly like other nearly letters.  I don't think the final letter is a 'd', even though that would make more sense. Nor do I think the first letter is a 'Q'.  I'm sure the word must say Ceasie.  It's not a word I've ever seen before but I can only assume it means 'seized up'.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 October 21 23:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help in decipering this will, and your observations. I have now corrected an earlier assumption of mine that Christopher was Leonard's son, and identified that Leonard did have a son, as we know from his will he had a granddaughter Elizabeth. So now to try and track down Leonard's son's first name.

Flathers, it appears, is an Otley name, there are about a dozen PR entries, inclusing a baptism for the son of Marmaduke Flathers.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 16:00 BST (UK) »
I've just been writing up my Scatchard ONS study and going back over this will. I notice that I'm still not sure of the last four lines on image 4, starting with Thomas Manson. Can anyone help, please?

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 17:06 BST (UK) »
... et ultimo die Septembris Anno D(omi)ni mill(es)imo sexcen(tesi)mo decimo tertio d(i)c(t)us

decanus cert(ificavit) de probac(i)o(n)e hui(usm)o(d)i test(ament)i per testes iuratos &c Com(m)issaq(ue) fuit Administrac(i)o bonoru(m) eiusdem

def(uncti) Katherine Scatchard vidue relict(e) d(i)c(t)i def(uncti) sole execat(rici)* in d(i)c(t)o test(ament)o no(m)i(n)at(e) prius iurat(e)

salvo iure cuiuscu(m)q(ue)

* should be execut(rici)

... and on the last day of September in the year of the Lord one thousand six hundred and thirteen [30 September 1613] the said Dean gave certification for the probate of this will by the witnesses who were sworn etc., and administration of the goods of the same deceased was granted to Katherine Scatchard, widow, the relict of the said deceased, the sole executrix named in the said will, who was first sworn, saving the right of whomsoever