Author Topic: Still stuck on Robert Walker's parents  (Read 373 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Never trust anything you find online .....
    • View Profile
Re: Still stuck on Robert Walker's parents
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 October 21 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.

I have always been under the impression that 'Widow xxx' meants that the person was the widow of Mr xxx. Does anyone have an authoritative source to confirm this or otherwise?
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

Online GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 October 21 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.

I have always been under the impression that 'Widow xxx' meants that the person was the widow of Mr xxx. Does anyone have an authoritative source to confirm this or otherwise?

I have always found this to be the case. The Widow Buchannan at Easdale appears as "Widow Buchannan alias Campbell Easdale" the first time she appears on the poor roll. I would assume she is likely the Flora Campbell married to (the now deceased) Patrick Buchannan.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Never trust anything you find online .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 14 October 21 20:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks, GR2. Glad to know I wasn't imagining things.
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith