Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 17th October  (Read 1167 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 17th October
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 15:24 BST (UK) »
Roobarb thanks re Bilsdale. I retuned this morning and we have all sorts of channels we used to have but haven’t had for months! Whether it lasts remains to be seen.
North East of England

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 23:04 BST (UK) »
Such mysterious symptoms many are suffering,vertigo is no joke!
 Nine pound loss of weight is dreadful ,hope things improve for that person.

Hope everyone picks up and can enjoy Christmas a bit better this year.
I shall perhaps be at daughter’s as Flash Harry’s little sister due November
2 nd .
To that end it is about time I got my Senior Citizens’ Rail pass.
£30 for a year, useable immediately and I am booked in to Hotel in Shrewsbury to see my friend up country  October 25 /26 th.
A saving  on that fair about £10 ,but to Suffolk £30+saving .

Went to Garden Centre on bus this afternoon. Walked back to shops abd called on a lovely lady who walked with us round the park.
She is widowed and had the same that my Dad had ,throat cancer and so lost her voice box and speech came from a tracheotomy tube in her throat .
Many other walkers in the group could not understand her but  I could  from my Dad.
Nice little house and doggy old now but does we’ll - diabetic. His owner does  his twice daily injections .
It was really nice to see her ,she is quite shy and does not mix , the difficulty some have in getting what she is saying adds to her isolation.

Well folks a phone message from Drs when I got back home- I AM TOO OLD
TO HAVE THE SHINGLES VACCINATION ———79 is upper age limit!
Grand daughter up on Friday 3O th ,her Birthday ,she has Shingles, but checked and was told it would be OK if the spots had dried up and the area was covered ,well that is OK , so it will be nice to see her.
I have said that in an earlier post I recall.

I do hope people start getting better ,as Christmas will be more relaxed this year and we need to enjoy things now whilst still being sensible.
Baby girl due on Nov 2 nd may be early. Grand daughter in law can get her full hand flat  ( mind you tiny hands ) on the Fundus ,above her tummy but under her bust ,a sign baby’s bead is engaged.
It will be what it will be.
They have all had serious colds ,really bad .
Daughter had the air conditioner filters sanitised when they reopened on limited openings and controlled numbers and areas etc. So not those .
All the mechanics and salesmen too affected.
 A mystery.

My episode of vertigo was low blood pressure ,a couple of years ago , but it can happen temporarily depending on my head position and how I use my neck.Not serious though those ,pass soon enough.

My neck crunches when I move my head back to look up ,I hear it , Osteoarthritis I expect,not taking anymore tablets!

Well look after yourselves and hope all are well soon and friends and relations too ,and courage to be of strength and comfort to those whose recovery is in
doubt and their loved ones.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 23:50 BST (UK) »
Oh dear so many people suffering from one thing or another… I can only hope that all will be improving soon…

Roobarb- hope your vertigo is better and you’re not feeling so dizzy…it’s not funny my OH suffered some years ago and told it was the crystals in his ears so treatment given was pretty grim and not very comfortable but did the trick…

Mark - your issues seem to have gone on for far too long and you seem very resigned and pragmatic I admire your fortitude…

LM  - sorry to hear about your two friends and it’s so tragic that hospital visits are really not possible unless you’re next of kin ….that’s what keeps people going ..

TY - hope your unpleasant episode has passed and your back to normal now too

Viktoria- once again you amaze me with everything you do! Sorry you’re not eligible for the shingles jab… I’m sure you’re all looking forward to the birth of your newest member of the family. Pleased to hear that you’ve managed to get your visit organised to your friends… I’m sure you’re looking forward to it.

Well our friend whose having the chemo who was so poorly last week… we’ve now discovered why… when he was given the platelets he should have had an anti sickness jab prior to it only the hospital didn’t give it to him..😳😳no wonder he was so unwell… another week and more platelets today with jab before hand so feeling a whole heap better… in relative terms though… still going through hell but so positive..
My friend who came of her bike six month ago and shattered her shoulder, split the ball joint and had surgery, a metal plate and eight screws went back on Monday to see her consultant to be told that the screws had shifted, the bone was not mending… result an operation next week to be given a full shoulder replacement… poor girl she was devastated.. but as she’s got so little movement currently and been told new one should give her 80% back it’s a no brainier as she said!

Not going to daughters on Sunday football matches and birthday parties for the boys have made it a logistical nightmare so I said we wouldn’t go… hopefully she’ll come up over half term to stay a couple of days…
Not been able to get my hair done as hairdressers grandson tested positive last Friday and now her partner has too despite being double vaccinated..as she comes to the house think I’ll be leaving it for a few weeks!

On that cheery note I’ll wish everyone well and say goodnight!
Take care

Caroline

PS - candleflame - oil still not bought as price still hanging around $83 😩😩
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 October 21 10:42 BST (UK) »
Well, speak of the devil!
Post this morning Premium Bonds , £25 win.
The bond win is a nice little surprise for grand daughter when she comes up,  one of £500 I gave my grand daughter for a Birthday some years ago,likewise her brother.
He won a time ago,£25 , but had been short of cash so I had given him the  cash value and I have done the same for grand daughter -  I have the bonds ,she got the cash value but  I felt they should have any winnings as if they still owned the bonds .
It was just a bit of pride saving.
Not to have to ask for a loan but to use what they had already.
I must speak ill of bonds  more often!
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 October 21 22:11 BST (UK) »
What a lot of ups and downs this week for people and their families and friends, here's hoping the downs soon become ups. Congratulations on the win Viktoria!

I gave the Pilates class a miss this week, was feeling okay but thought it best to play it safe, don't want to set that off again. Art class today, neither of my classes are on next week.  :( Will hope for some decent weather so I can do the garden instead.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 October 21 18:13 BST (UK) »
I am going to have a busy weekend.
Because my husband paid until the zBelgian Nat Ins scheme he got abd I now get a small widow’s pension.
A big thick form has to be filled in ,in Flemish, pre Brexit it was in English.
Their tax year is January through December ,ours April to April of course.
They want every little detail,even rates  of exchange on given  dates etc.

I keep papers in good order , but the overlap from our dates means some for Belgium  starting January ending December are then in a different year file to part of ours starting April!
I have the  idea of filing them in three month blocks ,January  to end of March April to June etc June then July to end of September ,October to end December .
Belgium can have four three month blocks of the same year .
GB can have the last three of one year and the first of the next year.
So will set about that later tonight .
Why did I not think about  that  years ago,.!

A dry day today ,not too cold either.
Bacon ,mushrooms and grilled tomatoes for tea, tomorrow a leek and cheese flan - with some creamy potatoes in it., with broccoli a cheese sauce.
Well off for a bath and then tea. Abd a good programme about the Celts ,Alice Roberts abd Neil Oliver abd a detective story with Sallly Lindsay ,but Ashes to Ashes on too.Lots of scenes filmed in parts of Manchester I knew.
Cheerio, hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend and stay well ,those poorly,a good recovery.
Viktoria,

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 October 21 20:58 BST (UK) »
Sounds like tricky paperwork Viktoria, don't envy that. Our bonus bonds scheme came to an end last October with the option to withdraw all bonds to their value or to leave for up to a year until those had been paid out, with remaining funds then divvied up with promise of 10% or more and that is due at the end of the month. I had a tidy some sitting there and left it in, so expecting my little windfall any day now. Also on Thursday bought first lotto ticket in a few months for the draw last night and had a small prize and bonus, didn't bother going online to purchase one when not available over counter during lockdown but booth at supermarket was still open when I shopped that evening.
Rang the bakery department at supermarket on Friday to check ingredients in a ginger loaf I bought, spur of moment choice as I rarely buy from the bakery range and had nothing to compare to in regards taste of their product. It certainly looked and smelled nice but felt sure there had been an error in spice quantity, most unpleasant and in fact inedible to us and we love ginger flavouring, the spice,  pickled or crystallized ginger and use the root in cooking. Assured me they follow a set recipe and had no other complaints but I may ask again when I visit, really think the label should have a warning that spice may burn back of throat, not at all what expected with cuppa.
I made a date loaf while I was using the oven on Friday, which is what I had intended to do in first place, at least that is nice as always. Younger daughter and her husband are dropping by briefly today on way elsewhere, will also ask them if willing to back up our verdict I think as I haven't biffed the shop one yet, she does loads of baking with orders for novelty cakes etc and his favourite is ginger cake. 
Caught up with immediate family news, phone calls etc during week but haven't done any meeting up outdoors. Had 2 vans at once briefly in driveway, first for a while, mower man came and spent ours here again and courier van turned up with 3 packages husband had been waiting on, one an overnight delivery from the post office supplies for courier bags which took a week!
Awaiting another review on restrictions, there was a big drive for vaccinations with a nationwide event yesterday, Saturday with good results, still some strong resistance and opinion on getting jabs.
The UN worker from Fiji who was medically evacuated to NZ with the virus in July has been released from hospital this week after 76 days, so that was good news.

Wishing all well ...

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 October 21 09:00 BST (UK) »
Got to Church yesterday and things seemed totally back to normal.  It was fully packed and everyone sits together now.  No more pre-booking ahead.  No more distancing.  I was the only one that I could see wearing a  mask.  No one commented though, I think they respect my choice, which is good.

It was the first of a block of nightshifts last night.  I hadn't known there was a football match on so it was a bit of a shock to pull into the Haymarket bus station to see heaving crowds.  It was pandemonium, you could hardly get moved, so noisy, and long queues for buses everywhere. I saw a few people dressed up as Sheiks.
I joined one queue and got almost to the front then we were told the bus was full.  I told the driver I was on nightshift but he said he would be breaking rules to let me on.   The same thing happened when I got right to the front of the second queue.  Turned away again, despite plea that I was on nightshift.  I can't really blame the drivers.  They were just following rules, but I felt desperate enough to ask.  I was surprised that not one person was prepared to give up their place.  I can honestly say that I would have, if I heard someone say they needed to get to a nightshift.  It wasn't that these were the last buses.
I joined a third queue with a now sickening feeling of dread.  This queue only got halfway down before the bus doors closed and this drove away.
Thankfully, I was able to get on a bus after joining a fourth queue.  This bus was going to a further place than I needed to be but I thought I better get on anyway.  I had to run like mad when I got off.  Just managed to get to work in the nick of time.  Phew!!

This morning there was a traffic jam and first bus was late, standing room only, for a lot of people but I managed to nab a seat.  My feet are aching now, so I was glad about that.
Popped in to M&S to buy something and second bus was in the stand waiting when I came out.  Can't wait to get to bed!
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 October 21 10:02 BST (UK) »
Church resumed and appears to be near normal but they still keep the door open and their  is a notice saying that we should still be wearing masks, so I wear mine in and put it on again when coming out, most aren't wearing them, now we can sing my specs get steamed up.
Not everyone has returned, shame it is nearing winter as some might just want to turn over and stay in bed, our service is 09.15, I have to leave here at 8.30am

RTL, I am sorry you had such a performance to get your bus, sadly not everyone is kind enough to think about anyone else,  I am sure the driver would have shed a few passengers quick enough so that no one would notice it was full, yes, he does have to stick to the rules I suppose but it is very annoying after you have done a night shift and need to get home to prepare for the next shift for the good of others

Another week gone, time is flying

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London