Author Topic: Martin Curran b.1799 co Kerry+ Mary Anne Cummins b.1820 Dublin  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Curran b.1799 co Kerry+ Mary Anne Cummins b.1820 Dublin
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 October 21 15:40 BST (UK) »

8 December 1779
Ireland
Baptised at Ballymore, Eustace, Wicklow & Kildare, Ireland. Diocese of Dublin. A son of Eleanor and Martin Curran

Ballymore Eustace is in County Kildare, near County Wicklow border. It was in an enclave (detached "pocket") of County Dublin until 1836. It's a long way from Kerry, on the opposite side of Ireland.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballymore_Eustace
Ballymore Eustace is marked on the map with the article. Kerry is the SW county facing the Atlantic Ocean.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 October 21 17:14 BST (UK) »

I started off just going to ask if anyone can find the Irish wife and 3 kids. If Martin Curren was born 1799 and received his free trip to NSW in 1826, there is a small window to get married and have 3 kids, probably married at age 20,

Catholic Registers at National Library of Ireland
https://registers.nli.ie/about
This has microfilms of original registers. Parishes are shown on a map.
All you know so far about Martin's origin is that he was from County Kerry. He may have been from a parish for which there are no early registers.

This is assuming that Martin was Catholic and that he married a Catholic woman in a Catholic church in County Kerry. A marriage in a Catholic church in Ireland was legal only if both bride and groom were Catholic. If one party wasn't Catholic the wedding had to be in Church of Ireland.

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/
Click "Current list of parishes" and " What church records are available online?" for more information.
Alphabetical list of Catholic parishes in Kerry with dates of registers.
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/parishes/Kerry%20(RC).pdf
C. of I. list can be found via "Current list of parishes".

Both sources are free to use. Irish Genealogy.ie is also the website for civil registers of births, marriages and deaths.
Cowban

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 October 21 05:34 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Maidenstone for the link...
I would like to say thats our Martin...however Im confused as the Marriage fits and the bap fits for one child, however looking through the list for Aunagarry Killorglin Kerry there are 8 Martin Currane as Sponsors, there are 3 Martin Currane as witness to marriages....could this Martin the Sponsor and witness be Martins Father???
I see at the end for Mother of Child says Ellen, could this be Helen

Area - KERRY (RC) , Parish/Church/Congregation - KILLORGLIN
Marriage of MARTIN CURRANE of AUNAGARRY and HELEN LIAHANE of NR on 4 July 1824
HusbandWife
NameMARTIN CURRANE HELEN LIAHANE
Address
AUNAGARRYNR
OccupationNRNR
FatherNR NRNR NR
MotherNR NRNR NR
Further details in the record
PriestNR
Husband AgeNR
Husband DenominationRC
Husband Marital StatusNR
Wife AgeNR
Wife Marital StatusNR
Husband's Father's OccupationNR
Wife's Father's OccupationNR
Witness 1MARTIN CURRANE
Witness 2JEREMIAH LIAHANE
About the record
Book NumberPageEntry NumberRecord_Identifier
N/R49N/RKY-RC-MA-63018
The church register page containing this record has not yet been imaged.

Area - KERRY (RC) , Parish/Church/Congregation - KILLORGLIN
Baptism of MARY CURRAN of AUNAGARRY on 2 April 1826
Name
MARY CURRAN
Date of Birth2 April 1826 (BASED ON OTHER DATE INFORMATION)
Address AUNAGARRY
Father MARTIN CURRAN
Mother ELLEN LIAHANE

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 October 21 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Maidenstone for the link...
I would like to say thats our Martin...however Im confused as the Marriage fits and the bap fits for one child, however looking through the list for Aunagarry Killorglin Kerry there are 8 Martin Currane as Sponsors, there are 3 Martin Currane as witness to marriages....could this Martin the Sponsor and witness be Martins Father???
I see at the end for Mother of Child says Ellen, could this be Helen

I'm not clear which one you think was "our Martin".

Curran is a common Irish surname. Martin, a fairly common forename in Ireland.
Some surnames and some forenames were locally common to certain counties or areas of counties e.g. my grandma's surname is local to County Mayo and her forename was very popular in her district around the time of her birth. Her mother's forename and surname were even more common and since GGM was born before civil registration of births and her marriage pre-dated civil registration, I don't know which of 6 babies baptised in the parish around the time she was born was her. 
Witnesses and sponsors named Martin Curran may have been close relatives, or less close relatives such as cousin, uncle, or unrelated if it was a locally common surname. One Martin Curran might have had several relatives also named Martin Curran if Martin was a significant name in a Curran family. Traditional Irish naming patterns often resulted in several members of an extended family having the same forename. 

Ellen/Helen was interchangeable. Latin form in church registers may be Helena or Eleanora (Eleanor). A short form is Nellie/Nelly.

Cowban

Offline kstat

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 January 22 05:02 GMT (UK) »
RickyJack,
Saw the thread regarding convict Martin Curran Adelong. Joined Roots Chat to reply to you.
My GGGgrandfather is this Martin Curran. My mother is a direct descendant as her GGgrandmother was Katherine Curran, one of Martin and Maryanne's 11 children. 
Martin's d/c (which I have) stated father was Martin Curran; mother Joanne Rowley?? (difficult to read. MA Cummins named James Cummins as her father - no mother named.
I have no definite record as to the mother of Mary Ann Cummins or mother of Martin Curran.
MC came to Australia on the Boyne October 1826.
 MA Cummins arrived  1835 on Canton. (have ship log)
 Age of Martin is problematic. Age on d/c is 78; Age on 1828 convict register is 27; age on marriage(1836) is 45!! (stated on d/c). So take your pick.
I also have the Irish seen the records already quoted by you.
As Martin DOB is not definite, it is hard to find the correct record. 
I've nearly come to the conclusion Mary Ann'e parents are James and Margaret (Mary?) Bartley St Catherine's Dublin.
I was told by my mother Mary Anne was 16 on marriage (so born 1820) and Martin was very old, over 40.
I was at the Curran reunion in 2010 in Tumut then onto Adelong, to unveil and bless a plaque to commemorate the pioneers Martin and Mary Ann Curran, Adelong. 
Both were buried in unmarked graves in Tumut Pioneer Cemetery.   

Together we may find definite answers to who were the Irish Curran and Cummins families.