Author Topic: Stumped over two dates  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
Stumped over two dates
« on: Tuesday 12 October 21 22:17 BST (UK) »
Robert Stevenson, Born 1866 in Bannockburn Married Margaret Findlay Born 1870 in Cumbernauld.
Date of marriage was 30 June 1893.
They had a large family and I am stuck with the birth dates of two of their sons.
James Findlay Stevenson born on 6th Sept 1904 and died some 15 months later on 18 Nov 1905.
But I also have his brother, William Stevenson Born on 29 Oct 1904 and who died in Australia on 29 July 1987.
The two dates of birth can't be right and yet Scotland's People index show that they are correct.
Would anyone care to help me in figuring out what's wrong.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Stumped over two dates
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 22:28 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the actual birth registrations on the registers for these births, Fergie? The statutory indexes don't include specific dates, just years.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 22:46 BST (UK) »
I agree with Monica. The index does not give parents names. There are a number of Stevenson children born in Bannockburn including another 2 named Willian in 1902.
Alternatively have a look at the 1911 census to see the ages of the children you are looking for.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 22:49 BST (UK) »
Is this the William Stevenson who died in Australia? Maybe revise his date of birth. It could be one of those 1902 births?
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/193646825/william-stevenson
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you folks.
Neale.. That certainly looks like the correct William and correcting the date to 1903 would make his dob make sense.
I gathered my info on James Stevenson on a trip to the records office in Edinburgh.
The infi on William came from contacts in Australia and included this photo of a medical document signed by William himself.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 02:01 BST (UK) »
I gathered my info on James Stevenson on a trip to the records office in Edinburgh.
I assume you have James 1904 birth registration with the date and parents names, and you know this to be correct.
Therefore, I can think of 2 possible errors for William.
1. The birth date on the document you posted has the wrong year of birth. (Maybe he did not know, or had reason to make himself younger.)
2. The William who died in Australia, is not a brother to your James Findlay. I see on his Australian death record only the name of his father "Robert" is recorded. Are you certain his mother is Margaret Findlay?

Once again I would suggest looking at the family in 1911 census to see what children there are and the ages for them.

EDIT to add:
I can see a ships passengers list “Beltana” in June 1925 for a William Stevenson age 22, a miner born Scotland – arriving Melbourne.
Home Address is Cauldlane Cottages Bannockburn.

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 October 21 21:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your help Neale especially the info on the ship etc.
The family on the 1911 census are very elusive but I see that the Records Office in Edinburgh are now allowing a limited number of seats to be used. I will contact them and see if I can get myself booked in.

Cheers

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 October 21 21:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, elusive indeed. I could not find them in Bannockburn in 1911.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 October 21 03:14 BST (UK) »
William Stevenson was indeed born 29th October but in 1902 (ref.488/2 207) not 1904.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk