Author Topic: James Murphy 1769-1820  (Read 315 times)

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Murphy 1769-1820
« on: Wednesday 13 October 21 05:01 BST (UK) »
I am gradually documenting all my direct ancestors back to the first arrivals in Australia, although in two cases that would be thousands of years ago. So far, 15 convicts.

I am stuck on James Murphy. I believe he may have been born in Wexford Ireland and baptised Jacobus Murphy in Wexford Kilmore - parents Jacobi and Eleanori on 19 June 1769.

What I do know is this.
1810 - Daughter Mary Ann Murphy with Sarah Sutton. Records from St Johns Parramatta
1813 - Daughter Margaret Elizabeth. Details the same.
1816 - Daughter Suzannah. Details the same
1818 - James and Sarah married. 2197/1818
1819 - Another daughter Catherine. 5220/1819
1820 - John died. 4785/1820

Before James, Sarah had been with John Wilkes, and after he died she had two more husbands. George Pember and Henry Skooler. Most records put her death in 1855 but I have searched and found no record around that date for any of her names. I believe she died in 1866. 1484/1866

My problem is that I cannot find any information on James Murphy prior to 1810 except for my guess of his birth details. I would very much appreciate help to find out where to go to uncover the first 40 years of his life.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: James Murphy 1769-1820
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 05:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

May I share info from that 8 June 1818 C of E marriage  :D

Ceremony conducted by Rev Samuel Marsden, after Banns.
James MURPHY, free, of Parramatta, signed his name
Sarah SUTTON, free, of Parramatta made her mark
Witnesses were John MONTGOMERY, made his Mark
Frances KELLATHAN, made her/his mark.

From the 1822 Land and Stock Muster - there's a John MONTGOMERY of Parramatta with a Grant & Lease over 50 acres, with 2 horses, 20 horned cattle and 14 hogs. he held 200 bushels of maize.  Perhaps back in 1818, John MURPHY had worked for that chap, but that is speculative at the moment.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.