Author Topic: Angel, Paddock, Huddersfield  (Read 305 times)

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Angel, Paddock, Huddersfield
« on: Wednesday 13 October 21 14:42 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if the immediate area around the Angel pub Paddock at Paddock Head was/is referred to as Angel. In the way that locally even very small areas and neighbourhoods often have their own old names.
Haven't managed to see anything on online old maps.
I recall seeing reference to the Angel pub in 1855, maybe not the one we knew in more recent years, now closed.
I know there is one other old building nearby which has the angel name.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Byker.

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Angel, Paddock, Huddersfield
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 October 21 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes, Paddock is across a large area and parts of the area are often referred to by a prefixed and the area around the pub was often called the Angel Paddock or Paddock Angel and the round about in front of the pub was referred to the Angel round about.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 03:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I went to the same school as the late PM Harold Wilson only years later called Royds Hall school that was a street behind the Angel Pub at Paddock head and that was/is the only offical real and local slang place name for the area and still is. There was a trolly bus stop outside the pub called the Angel but this was in later years as it always been Paddock head at the top of Paddock and Paddock Foot at the bottom of the long hill road of the main Paddock area (Centre of by the church).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 07:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, dob and JR.
Interesting.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 10:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, dob and JR.
Interesting.

I read an inquest report once about a ley preacher who travelled the country making speeches who fell off the wagon referred to like a transporter by the authority, who took passengers as well as  haulage and while he was drunk onboard from Huddersfield to Bradford daily wagon about 1840's. thus the Angel pub could have been a local pick up and drop off point for passengers on similar transport haulage transporters to town & back,  ??? so got the local small area name.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 10:45 BST (UK) »
Some more examples of small areas getting names from pubs ( or maybe vice-versa?):

Victoria and Flouch near Holmfirth ( the latter in its earlier, across the road from the current one position, once had my ancestor as landlord)

The roundabout in New Hey rd, near HRI, is often referred to as Bay Horse rdabt, as is the immediate neighbourhood.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 October 21 02:29 BST (UK) »
Its hard to say, as some like you say the 'Bay horse pub' got the name of that small area, yet at Lockwood Bar traffic lights, that small area did not get the name Red Lion crossroads or  Lockwood Scare bottom  did not get the name White Lion corner. In Wakefield there are two funny named area's on the Barnsley road out of Wakefield, 'Many gates house' and 'Busy corner'  and no pubs near.