Author Topic: ISAACS from Poland  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Hillhurst

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ISAACS from Poland
« Reply #45 on: Monday 18 October 21 15:11 BST (UK) »
Iíve done a free trial on find my past - thatís where I looked up aliens arriving.

The passenger list on FindMyPast is outgoing - so ships leaving the UK from 1890-1960.
I agree with Justin: I don't think you'll find your Isaacs family on an incoming Passenger list anywhere.

I really do think purchasing Annie's 1884 birth cert from the GRO is your next best option.
Many immigrants to new countries stayed with family members when they first arrived. So if the Isaacs entered the UK circa 1883-1884 chances are they stayed with a relative. So the address on Annie's birth cert could lead you to an Isaacs relative, also from Russian Poland. And the relative could provide clues to the Isaacs home town in Poland.

If you don't want to plump for Annie's birth cert, try researching older daughter Mary (?) after 1891. According to the 1891 census, she was born in Poland. Confirm if she died or married before the 1901 census. If she's in the 1901 and 1911 census, hopefully she gave details regarding the family's home town. But don't count on it.

FYI: No point looking for Isaacs baptism records (baptisms don't occur in the Jewish faith).

Offline MillieBB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 18 October 21 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for info.

Yes looked for info on Mary but no luck so far.

In an earlier post I wrote down the address the family were staying at in London. I believe it was the 1891 census or couldíve been the 1901 census.

Offline Hillhurst

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 18 October 21 15:39 BST (UK) »
The 1891 address isn't that helpful. The family were in London for about 7 years by then. You need the earliest UK address possible -- and at the moment -- it's Annie's 1884 birth cert. Addresses are very important in family research and can often provide vital clues.

Too bad the family entered the UK c1884. There is an online database for the Jews' Temporary Shelter records but for 1895-1914 only. The registers include a wealth of details such as the name of the immigrant, age, birth place, marital status, number of children, condition of entry, whereabouts of any family, the last place the immigrant had been, number of days in the shelter, date leaving and destination.

But unfortunately, there are no JTS records prior to May 1896.

Offline MillieBB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 18 October 21 15:52 BST (UK) »
Oh thatís a nuisance - couple years too soon.
You do know an awful lot about the Jewish immigration to UK- thank you for sharing.

Offline Hillhurst

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 18 October 21 15:59 BST (UK) »
You do know an awful lot about the Jewish immigration to UK

I'm not Jewish either. The info is all out there online. As the saying goes "Google is your friend".
Do you think you'll order Annie's birth cert? It's the only way to advance your research now...
That is, in terms of knowing where the family came from in Poland. Depends on if that info is important at this stage of your research.

Offline MillieBB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 18 October 21 16:14 BST (UK) »
I think I will order it because my sister and I would love to know. According to my dna Iím 29% Jewish as my grandmother converted and wasnít Jewish by birth. My father wasnít either but mum was orthodox as a girl but not when after her father died - though she never ate shell fish and nor did/do we!

Offline Hillhurst

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 18 October 21 17:23 BST (UK) »
I think I will order it because my sister and I would love to know.

Excellent. When you receive the GRO cert, search the address on it in the 1881 and 1891 census reports.
Hopefully the address will be associated with an Isaacs relative or friend from Poland.
If it is, you'll need to follow that person (or family) through relevant census records. Hopefully they'll indicate where in Poland they're from. Having said that, many immigrants from Eastern Europe didn't get too specific about their birthplace on census reports. Most just said either "Poland" or "Russia Poland".

Another research tip is researching Poland-born family members (associated with the birth cert address) who may have emigrated to the USA. If they did and applied for Naturalisation, they may have indicated their Polish home town on the document.

Offline MillieBB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 18 October 21 17:29 BST (UK) »
Unless they lie about where born! Thatís what appears to have happened with John/Jacob who was born late 1870s and had to have been born in Poland as the family didnít emigrate to UK till early 1880s. John lied on his US application and stated heíd been born in London!!

Weíre they worried about anti semitism? Is that why they were economical with the truth?