Author Topic: ISAACS from Poland  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ISAACS from Poland
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 October 21 12:21 BST (UK) »
Possible Probate for Solomon, 1947.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPLX-1JH3

I think his death is registered on GRO as Sidney King, Dec Q, 1947, age 65, St Pancras.

There is also one in Brighton but age is 62.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 October 21 12:58 BST (UK) »
Bernard Basil Simmonds married Minnie L Isaacs in Brighton, 1940.

Minnie Lillian Isaacs born, 1920, Greenwich, MMN Cohen

There is a marriage, 1919, Southwark, Sidney Isaacs to Miriam B Aindjah. Possibly changed to Margaret Ellen???

Offline MillieBB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 October 21 13:24 BST (UK) »
Aah right. Brilliant. Thank you. Need to investigate this further. Hope it is him. I couldn’t find anything!!

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 October 21 13:53 BST (UK) »
Minnie died 1993, Worthing.

Minnie had 3 children all born Brighton. Cannot name as may still be alive

Offline MillieBB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 October 21 16:08 BST (UK) »
All these relatives never knew we had. My mum never mentioned any of her father’s siblings so we thought he was only child.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 October 21 16:21 BST (UK) »
The glaringly obvious suddenly occurred to me. If John Isaac Wilson became a naturalised US citizen, then the relevant papers would probably reveal his place of birth.

However, what I have found is a string of lies ... or he is not related to Arthur.

On 27 May 1922, Arthur did indeed arrive in New York on the Mauretania, with the intention of staying with - I quote from the manifest - 'sister, Mr. & Mrs. J. Wilson, 1230 Overlook Street, Mt. Vernon, NY'.

123, not 1230, Overlook Street was occupied by John Wilson and his wife, Isabell(a) from at least 1920. This John was indeed formerly known as Jacob or Jack Isaacs. But in every census and in his Declaration of Intention (to become a US citizen) he claimed that he had been born in London on 18 Sept 1877.

Jack Isaacs and Isabell Shuman (Schumann) were granted a marriage licence in New York on 7 Sep 1908. In 1910, they were still living in Manhattan but under the surname Wilson.

Isabella's repeatedly lied about her age. In the censuses with Jack/John, she admits to being a couple of years older than him. In reality, she was recorded as a seven-year-old with her parents in the 1870 census.

When registering for the draft in 1918 in Mount Vernon, John signed John Irving Wilson.

What other sources do you have that link John Isaac Wilson and Arthur Isaacs?

Justin

UPDATE: The marriage record here https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24C7-KP9 confirms that Jack's parents were Goodman and Jane Isaacs. But I find it highly unlikely that he was born on London.

Offline MillieBB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 October 21 17:09 BST (UK) »
Ok so previous info was from another rootschat member. Also 1891 census mentions both Arthur and Jacob/John but with many years apart so Jacob was much older. It also says that he was born in Poland.

From Family search found that Arthur visited John accompanied by a Mrs A Isaacs whom we supposed was our grandmother but discovered she was 8 months pregnant at the time. Arthur returned to my grandmother for Leslie’s birth but the lived with my grandmother‘S sister, aunt Carrie in Guildford.

My mum and her siblings as well as my grandmother changed their name to Wilson, I know that but why is a mystery. Mum said it was due to the war but I really am not sure. I know Arthur died in Bristol as a brush salesman and as an Isaacs whilst his wife and children were in London
As Wilsons!!

It did cross my mind whether in reality Jacob/John was Arthur’s real father because of the huge age difference between them. But probably a flight of fancy on my part. It’s such a tangled web and so it makes it very confusing

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 October 21 17:12 BST (UK) »
Abraham's birth in 1896 has MMN as Behel.

Offline MillieBB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 October 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
Really? I thought it was Beber. Could it be a mistake?