Author Topic: Relatively recent searching  (Read 1508 times)

Offline garden genie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Relatively recent searching
« on: Wednesday 13 October 21 20:27 BST (UK) »
I wanted to tidy up my records and add some death dates for people who were missing them. It was a good idea but I am struggling.
As an example take John Davenport/Devonport born 16 Feb 1895 in Salford, baptised in Cheetwood as John Willie Davenport, and his wife Alice formerly Williams. They were married 24 Feb 1927 in Cheetham and in the 1939 register they are in Sale. John was a fitters apprentice in 1911, a draper in 1927 and a market draper in 1939. (Alice is inconsistant with her age but I think she was probably the one born Cradley, Worcestershire in 1900, daughter of Samuel and Eliza.) John and Alice don't appear to have had any children.
John's father died in 1911 and did not leave a will. His mother might have died in 1913, but there are other possibilities. His younger brothers can't even be located in 1939 as their baptisms didn't helpfully record the date of birth. ( You can't go buying certificates for everybody!)
There don't seem to be electoral registers for the Cheshire/Greater Manchester boundary area online for 1940s or 50s. There don't appear to be any likely deaths in the Sale area for John or Alice, so they probably moved on, but I can't tell where or when. What am I missing/forgetting? Is there any other way of picking them up after the war so that I have some clue to which of the possible deaths they might be?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Relatively recent searching
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 21:43 BST (UK) »
Have you already investigated the John Davenport deaths in Cheshire in 1945 & 1965
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline garden genie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 22:12 BST (UK) »
You mean the Stockport or Macclesfield registration district ones? There are no matching probate entries, so they are typical of the problem - no clues if they are likely ones or not.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 October 21 02:36 BST (UK) »
Can you tell us where you've found John in 1901/1911, who his parents were?  Having trouble finding his family to collaborate your findings.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 October 21 04:45 BST (UK) »
Article in Manchester Evening News dated 23rd June 1945.
Davenport. On the 22nd June 1945, at Cheltenham, Alice Davenport, (nee Williams), formerly of Manchester, in her 73rd year. Service at the Cheltenham crematorium.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 October 21 05:01 BST (UK) »
Can you tell us where you've found John in 1901/1911, who his parents were?  Having trouble finding his family to collaborate your findings.

Annette

1901 -  RG13 piece 3770 folio 100 page 30

1911 - Piece   24174

John's mother is Mary Ann age 47 and is married on the 1911 but no husband present.

Mary Ann Kirkwood married John Davenport 12 April 1884 St Stephens Hulme

Offline garden genie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 October 21 09:11 BST (UK) »
middlesbrough - that is a good find. But aged 73 instead of about 45? Did you see the actual item or could it have been an OCR error?

crisane - yes, that is them. From memory Mary Ann's husband was already in the Asylum where he died in November 1911 of one of the euphemisms for syphylis. (at that period the usual medicine was what we would now call poisonous!) John (senior) and Mary Ann had nine children of whom two died young. My husband's maternal grandmother doesn't seem to have kept in touch with her brothers at all, and the little that was remembered about her sisters hasn't been helpful.

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 October 21 12:21 BST (UK) »
I read the full article.

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 October 21 12:43 BST (UK) »
Rather odd, newspaper says 73, FreeBMD says 64, yet her date of birth on the 1911 census says 18 May, 1899.