Author Topic: William Morrison  (Read 1239 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
William Morrison
« on: Thursday 14 October 21 18:29 BST (UK) »
It's been a very long time since I have been on rootschat,I stopped doing my tree a few years ago but started again,I am wondering if anyone can help me find the burial place of my grt grandad William Morrison,the only info I have is he died on a farm at pawston mindrum ,I seem to remember my mam saying he was around 86 years old,he was living with his daughter Elizabeth and son in law Anthony darrie, the year was approx 1940 to 46,he was separated from his wife Mary,she was apparently 10 years younger and died in 1946,my mam said all the morrisons were buried in berwickshire grt north road Cemetery but someone did a lookup for me a few years ago and there was only one William Morrison and he was in his 30s,all my Morrison's are in unmarked graves,another thing I'm thinking is,its quite a distance from pawston mindrum to berwick,they had very little money,so how would he have been taken there,I would just like to know where he was laid to rest,thankyou,anne
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Morrison
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 October 21 18:45 BST (UK) »
You need to establish when he died.  Have you looked for a death on www.freebmd.org?

Anthony Darrie & Elizabeth Morrison married in Scotland 1926 - 7 children born to the marriage up to 1942.  Any of the younger ones still alive who can help with info?

Have you checked the 1939 register?  If he was 86 when he died & it was 1940-1946 you are looking at a birthyear between 1854 & 1860
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 October 21 18:53 BST (UK) »
Mindrum was in the parish of Carham, which fell within Northumberland North 1st Registration District.
The only William Morrison death I can see in that district was in 1940, but he was aged 79, not the age you say he was  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 October 21 18:56 BST (UK) »
You presumably have him on the 1911 census so what was his birthyear?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 October 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
William was born at haddington,east Lothian 3rd September 1859,he married Mary crumlish 1st September 1891,he died at pawston mindrum 1939 aged 80
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 October 21 11:37 BST (UK) »
William was born at haddington,east Lothian 3rd September 1859,he married Mary crumlish 1st September 1891,he died at pawston mindrum 1939 aged 80

The only possible death registration I can see is William Morrison aged 79, Northumberland North 1st, 10b, 1257, 1st q 1940.

Presumably he died towards the end of December 1939 but the death wasn't registered until the very beginning of the following year.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 October 21 11:58 BST (UK) »
Not on the 1939 register with that birthdate & not with son in law as shown in opening post

If you look at the 1901 entry - birthyear is shown as 1864 & 1863 in 1911

Are you sure you have the right birthdate?  SP has an 1861 birth in Haddington - the 1859 was Prestonkirk

From my earlier reply
Have you checked the 1939 register?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 October 21 12:23 BST (UK) »
Is with son in law in 1939 but birthdate given as 15/9/1857??

However, his birth certificate gives birthdate as 30/9/1859 (not 3rd).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 October 21 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

Really weird.   Ancestry have 2 entries for Anthony Darrie - neither of which names any other occupants - just a lot of redacted entries.

When I used your info - it turns up another entry mistranscribed as Warrie although his wife & child are Darrie  ::) ::)