Author Topic: Deceased RAF personnel records - order online  (Read 405 times)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deceased RAF personnel records - order online
« on: Saturday 16 October 21 21:29 BST (UK) »
RAF records of deceased personnel who served after 1920 can now be ordered online

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records
GEDmatch M157477

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Deceased RAF personnel records - order online
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 October 21 22:28 BST (UK) »
Great but you will have a long wait as they have a backlog of applications due to Covid.

Have been waiting for 9 months for my late father in laws records. Still, get your application in as soon as you can and join the queue.

Thank you for posting this link medpat.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Just tried the new online service with three wartime death in service requests to see what the new experience is.

Cannot praise it and Cranwell Disclosures enough for this quantum change in operation.

Application method is a simple series of tick/upload/free form text boxes.

At each stage you can cancel or save and continue an application.

Answer to a previous question will reduce the following questions to those you need to complete rather than displaying all with the resultant confusion.

All you need to apply is Subject Full name, Subject  Year of Birth and an electronic copy of death certificate or presumption of death (if not in service)

If applicants wish to add anything they think useful then upload and free form text boxes are displayed at the appropriate stage.

Once completed you get an email within a working day - giving a reference number, asking if you would like electronic or postal delivery, a few reminders of the current redaction/scheme of publication and a current estimate of delivery.

All my applications were 4 to 6 weeks

A shade over 3 weeks all were emailed as a password protected pdf - which I acknowledged receipt of by email and the passwords to open sent either that day or the following day.

I also received a telephone call from Disclosures to discuss if I wanted to request an "informal review of Mustering". Transpires that the blanket procedure that MoD has applied to all Disclosure (RAF/Army/RN) to provide a consistent and achievable return rate is to assume that all Subjects are still alive and subject to all clauses of the DPA.

Advice from Cranwell is to include the request "Informal review of Mustering for Publication" in your application for a death over 25 years ago - add to an info text box.

That way they can trigger a special review - at applicant request when they have the record open. As long as there is no sensitive role information the section will not be subject to the automatic redaction.

Great piece of proactive contact from Disclosures while the quirks of the new system are being understood.

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting this. I'm about to apply for my father's RAF records, so it's appeared at just the right time to make the task straightforward.
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton