Author Topic: Missing matches caused by IT issues?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline AndyH81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing matches caused by IT issues?
« on: Sunday 17 October 21 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I just wondered if anyone had ever had any issues with Ancestry not finding matches to relatives you know you are (or at least should be matched) caused by an actual IT issue? If so, how was this resolved?

The reason I ask is because a 2nd cousin and I should be matching on our DNA but have not. There are other relatives she had matched to, but I have not. Now, this could suggest that she and I are not related at all but I had a DNA match to an ancestor who would be a mutual relative a little further down the line which my cousin does not appear to have a match to. My father has agreed to take a DNA test as he would rightly be genetically related to the both of us, so that might help solve some of the mystery - but I was wondering if anyone had experience a legitimate IT issue which prevented matches from being made?

Best wishes,
Andy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing matches caused by IT issues?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 October 21 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

I've not come across any IT issues. 2nd cousinship is close enough to show up, even if the cM is at the lower end of the range.

https://dnapainter.com/assets/tools/shared/histograms/2c.png

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline AndyH81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 October 21 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

I've not come across any IT issues. 2nd cousinship is close enough to show up, even if the cM is at the lower end of the range.

https://dnapainter.com/assets/tools/shared/histograms/2c.png

Gadget

Oh, I know the relationship should show up, it just hasn't which my father doing the DNA test. It suggests someone is not related in the way they think!

It's just weird that I match to someone further up the line that she doesn't, whereas she matches to several others on the same line which I don't. Hence I was wondering if anyone had experienced a lack of a match due to an IT issue. I appreciate there wouldn't be any match if someone had chosen not to make their information available to others.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 October 21 20:54 BST (UK) »
As I said in my first reply, I have not come across any missed DNA matches because of an IT issue in about 4 years of using DNA testing with a range of sites. I think you could contact Ancestry or wait until your father's results come back.

You could also download your DNA data from Ancestry and upload to other sites to see if a chromosome browser (which is not available on Ancestry) might give you some further information.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline AndyH81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 October 21 21:10 BST (UK) »
As I said in my first reply, I have not come across any missed DNA matches because of an IT issue in about 4 years of using DNA testing with a range of sites. I think you could contact Ancestry or wait until your father's results come back.

You could also download your DNA data from Ancestry and upload to other sites to see if a chromosome browser (which is not available on Ancestry) might give you some further information.

Oh, thank you. I might try that latter option. I wasn't aware I could do that!

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 October 21 21:36 BST (UK) »
Here's the link of how to downlad from Ancestry:

https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/Downloading-AncestryDNA-Raw-Data

Don't unzip it as it's huge. The other sites accept the zip file. Sites that you can upload to include  GEdmatch, My Heritage, FTDNA, 23&me. Some make a charge.

Offline AndyH81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 October 21 09:51 BST (UK) »
Here's the link of how to downlad from Ancestry:

https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/Downloading-AncestryDNA-Raw-Data

Don't unzip it as it's huge. The other sites accept the zip file. Sites that you can upload to include  GEdmatch, My Heritage, FTDNA, 23&me. Some make a charge.

Thanks! Just trying that this morning! :)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 October 21 13:10 BST (UK) »
Could it be that there were second marriages for the great grandparents that would explain if you are descended from one of them and she the other.
You would both match children of the combined marriage but not each other .

My great grandparents each came to. The marriage with children so i match all descendants but the descendants of his son from first marriage do not match descendants of her daughters
On some census you can not tell that these children were not all full siblings
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline AndyH81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 October 21 14:07 BST (UK) »
Could it be that there were second marriages for the great grandparents that would explain if you are descended from one of them and she the other.
You would both match children of the combined marriage but not each other .

My great grandparents each came to. The marriage with children so i match all descendants but the descendants of his son from first marriage do not match descendants of her daughters
On some census you can not tell that these children were not all full siblings

Absolutely. None of us are aware of this being the case, but we are considering it as a possibility!

My father has agreed to do a DNA test, as he would be a common relative and by rights should be related to us both. Hopefully that will turn up some other mutual DNA matches and we can begin to see where things might have fallen apart.