Author Topic: Search birth certificates using mother's first name?  (Read 4977 times)

Offline AndyH81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Search birth certificates using mother's first name?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 11:07 BST (UK) »
I got the sense it was some kind of medical record as opposed to my birth certificate.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 11:46 BST (UK) »
U.K. birth certificate would not give medical details regarding ether mother or child, number of previous pregnancies, etc.

Thirty years ago (pre computerised records) I was given a white card (about 6"x8") to be brought to all ante-natal appointments. It recorded name, age, date of birth, number of pregnancy & NI number & possibly due date). At each appointment (midwife, doctor, hospital) was written the date, number of weeks of pregnancy, blood pressure & weight, blood results. If I'd been admitted to hospital (for high blood pressure, bleeding or any other reason) there would have been a notation made at the time.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 14:02 BST (UK) »
U.K. birth certificate would not give medical details regarding ether mother or child, number of previous pregnancies, etc.

Thirty years ago (pre computerised records) I was given a white card (about 6"x8") to be brought to all ante-natal appointments. It recorded name, age, date of birth, number of pregnancy & NI number & possibly due date). At each appointment (midwife, doctor, hospital) was written the date, number of weeks of pregnancy, blood pressure & weight, blood results. If I'd been admitted to hospital (for high blood pressure, bleeding or any other reason) there would have been a notation made at the time.

My card (early 1980's) was yellow on the outside and white inside and yes had all the information listed above.   I even recall seeing my Mum's card from her pregnancy with me - hers was buff coloured on the outside - I recall quite clearly a notation saying "elderly primagravida" she was 35!! I wish I knew where it went.
Good luck in your search
Nesta

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 14:04 BST (UK) »
If this record the OP has is one of these Maternity cards - I believe it would also detail previous miscarriages or stillbirths.
N

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 14:10 BST (UK) »
I recall quite clearly a notation saying "elderly primagravida" she was 35!!

I can remember being referred to as an elderly primagravida and was less than 35 at the time!

Many women are having babies later in life nowadays, some well past 35 years of age.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline AndyH81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys. I think it's a case of waiting to find out what kind of record it is. I'm 40, so I suppose the documents might be quite different in content back then to whatever they are now.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 00:15 BST (UK) »
......all you can do is work out a list of possible entries and obtains certificates for them to see if the details match.

Don't you have to supply an exact date of birth in your application if the event occurred less than 50 years ago?

Debra  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 05:28 BST (UK) »
A couple of questions Andy:

If you are concerned that a first cousin is not a DNA match and have questions about your father, have you considered asking him if he would take a DNA test?

It sounds like your mother may be deceased? If so, does she have any close family who may know if she had an earlier pregnancy?

Offline AndyH81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 22 October 21 18:51 BST (UK) »
A couple of questions Andy:

If you are concerned that a first cousin is not a DNA match and have questions about your father, have you considered asking him if he would take a DNA test?

It sounds like your mother may be deceased? If so, does she have any close family who may know if she had an earlier pregnancy?

My father is taking a DNA test too. If that comes back showing that we are not related, then we will - of course - take an independent paternity test to confirm the results. My 2nd cousin is convinced that my results have either been mixed up or contaminated, but I am not convinced as it seems too convenient that I've matched with lots of people on my mother's side but not my father's. That being said, I did match with one ancestor on my father's side several generations ago and I can't find any evidence to suggest I could also be connected to that ancestor via someone else on my mother's side.

I think something suspicious is going on - I'm just not sure how. I downloaded my GEDCOM file and DNA profile and uploaded to MyHeritage too to see if any different results came back. Indeed, it matched me to a woman who it identified as either my grand-niece OR a cousin once removed. As neither of my sister's have children, I have ruled the niece out as being that relationship - unless, of course, I did have an older sibling I never knew about.

What is interesting me further is that the DNA tests have identified lots of relatives in Ireland. I have contacted some of those individuals to see if they know how we might be related, but none of us can find a connection. In fact, none of us can find any evidence to suggest our families have ever met, let alone married/interbred!! It's all a total mystery.

Consequently, I am doing an additional independent test with MyHeritage to see if that spits out completely different results!!

Yes, my mother died when I was a child. The only people I knew on that side of the family were my aunts, uncles and grandparents. And it wasn't even until all this kicked off that I was able to identify great-grandparents or great-aunts and uncles. I had no idea my maternal grandparents even had siblings!

My father has agreed to ask the eldest of her siblings if she was aware of my mother having a child before me (or a pregnancy).

I feel like it's a Netflix special waiting to unfold, as there seem to be two things that would be independent of each other: 1. The possibility of having an older half-sibling; 2. The possibility that my father and I might not be biologically related either.