Author Topic: Taylor Family (Shoemakers) in Compton near Newbury.  (Read 1389 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor Family (Shoemakers) in Compton near Newbury.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 10:40 BST (UK) »
And I think Benedict (above) married in Thatcham, had family with wife Elizabeth in Chilton, and both were buried there in 1731. Can't find what happened to their young orphaned children. It's often useful to track other family members, one of John and Elizabeth's children might have married someone who came from the place J and E originated from.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 16:34 BST (UK) »
I think 1705 is too young to be the one we're looking for. He would be only 16 at marriage.

Has a marriage been confirmed?  It can't be the Lambourn one, can it, if the 1798 burial there refers to the William & Ruth who were married there.

1705 isn't too young if John bpt 1726 is the first child, but of course we can't be sure of that.  More likely they had child/ren already when they moved to Compton.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline EllyTaylor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 22:50 BST (UK) »
The information about apprenticeships and the movement of families is really useful thanks Lizzie, it has me wondering how long they were shoemakers for and if William moved to Compton because the village he was born in couldn't support two of them, as you've suggested. It's also interesting to see people relocate when they get married - I'm guessing it's usually to a larger village with more employment opportunities? I so wish I could go back in time and get to know them better! I am finding that I'm starting to get attached to places instead. Oh my, I'm hoping they were in East Hendred, it's GORgeous! And this is a whole new part of England I haven't yet explored.

So if I have it right I have William b 1722 East Hendred marrying Ruth Brundson at Lambourn 23 Nov 1721 and dying in Compton May 1769. I hope those EH relatives fit somehow, but it's not clear. I'm realising now how much this is both an art and a science!