Author Topic: Leonard and Ada Beauchamp photo date?  (Read 940 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leonard and Ada Beauchamp photo date?
« on: Tuesday 19 October 21 08:32 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately this photo is a tiny print about 2.5 inches wide, so it is not very clear. I’m almost certain that it is of Leonard and Ada Beauchamp, my great grandparents, of whom I have a very hazy recollection. Both died aged 91. Ada was born in 1871 and Leonard in 1874. Apparently Ada was very small and Leonard was approaching 6’. The height difference looks less to me here, but I think Leonard is probably standing in the cart rut and Ada is on the raised ground between ruts, which might explain it.

I know Ada had eyesight problems and wore blue-tinted glasses, and the lady in the photo seems to have tinted glasses.

Do the clothes give a clue to date? My father told me of a trip he and my mother and her parents and paternal grandparents made to visit Ada’s sister in Warwickshire (where Ada and Leonard once lived on adjoining farms). The trip was in Leonard’s posh car, chauffeur-driven by my grandad because despite owning a haulage business (his two sons) Leonard himself couldn’t drive ;D ). I wonder if this photo was taken on that trip, in the early 1950’s?
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leonard and Ada Beauchamp photo date?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 11:16 BST (UK) »
He certainly looks to have long legs so the tall man fits. 

How old would they be in the early 50's?  They don't look super old. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 11:31 BST (UK) »
Could be 40's or 50's I would guess

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 13:11 BST (UK) »
I'd say 1930s-40s.

add - age wise 50s-60s.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 15:54 BST (UK) »
It could have been early 50's but looks earlier to me.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions. If it was the early 1950’s then Ada would have been about 80 by then and Leonard about 77. OTOH, if the early  1940’s then the war would have been on, so I’m not sure whether they ran a car then, with petrol rationing, and apparently his wallet had more padlocks than a Scotsman’s, so I’m not sure how much he would have gadded about under the circumstances ;D
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 17:53 BST (UK) »
 ;D

I did say 30s-40s
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 19:43 BST (UK) »
;D

I did say 30s-40s

Yes. I was thinking that they looked a bit older than you suggested, but I suppose that people did generally look older back then, possibly partly hairstyles and hat wearing and other clothes. The parents of a friend of mine in the early 1960’s used to look about 70 when they were probably in their 40’s ;D (it wasn’t just my age: my dad always looked remarkably young).

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 20:30 BST (UK) »
I was just about to reply and my line dropped!

For comparison, this is my great uncle in the mid/late 30s. He was born mid 1870s

Add - He died in 1938.