Author Topic: Crimea War  (Read 431 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Crimea War
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 October 21 14:43 BST (UK) »
Two of my ancestors served in the Crimean War, one went on to serve in the Indian Mutiny.

I no longer have a FindMyPast subscription, so I cannot, unfortunately, view the documents that others have found.

The UK, Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949 dataset on ancestry lists two John Normans with the regimental number 5122.

One served in the 1st Battalion, Scots Fusilier Guards; the other in the 1st Battalion, Coldstream Guards. Are you certain that your John served in the former? I'm sure that I can see an Essex lad being recruited by a Scottish regiment.

There are also 16 other John Normans and a John William Norman, who served in a

Anyway, by researching the regiment's activities during the war, you can develop a very good picture of what he must have experienced as a very young man

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 October 21 14:49 BST (UK) »
One served in the 1st Battalion, Scots Fusilier Guards; the other in the 1st Battalion, Coldstream Guards.

"Coldstream Guards" is an error on the part of Ancestry. If you look at the original image, page back to image 318 (page 325) which is the beginning of that medal roll, and you will see that it is clearly headed "1st Battalion, Scots Fusilier Guards".
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 October 21 14:57 BST (UK) »
Oops, I made the same mistake scrolling back in haste to image 315.

Offline Sherilla63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 October 21 15:13 BST (UK) »
Once again, I am amazed at how you manage to find these things.  The newspaper article makes sense as although my ancestor was not destitute he would have been rather poor once he had retired from being a bricklayer.

In the granting of this small pension of 9d per day, it might have been the difference between him living at home until his death in 1917 going to the workhouse.

Thanks again for your investigation into this.

Regards
Sherilla

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 October 21 15:20 BST (UK) »
Here's another 9d a day pension, granted in 1903, for a Crimea veteran who left the army immediately after the war:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000221%2f19031210%2f028&stringtohighlight=pension%20crimean%20war
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk