Author Topic: Joseph Conway Mug shot ?  (Read 815 times)

Offline TheIrishDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Conway Mug shot ?
« on: Thursday 21 October 21 14:01 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon all I am new to this forum but I am glad I found it. I am researching my great uncle Joseph Conway born 1875 tullamore Ireland.

Now Joseph was a carrear criminal and was imprisoned in every town and city he visited for steeling, assault ect
From records I have found these places he was in
Tullamore,
Wakefield,
Hull,
Barnsley,
Liverpool
Pontefract
He was also in wormwood scrubs.

I believe mug shots was made law in 1870s ? So why can I not find a mug shot of him ? Stupid question I know but the amount of times he was in prison,  surely they should be one ? Thank you for taking the time to read

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Conway Mug shot ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 October 21 19:37 BST (UK) »
Not every prisoner was photographed.
The famous Irishman, Oscar Wilde jailed 1895 has no mugshot from his time in prison.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Are you using Ancestry only?
Check for Joseph in the England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935 collection on Find My Past. That's the collection that tends to have (more) mugshots, if one exists.

I saw one criminal's record on Ancestry from the 1870s. No mugshot.
Found quite a few records for the same criminal on FindMyPast. One record was quite lengthy -- and included a mugshot!  Then again, he was pinched for a scandalous crime. So not sure if that necessitated the mugshot.

Offline TheIrishDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 February 22 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thank you for both of your reply yes I use find my past as I have most of his prison records in there.

It's funny to have so many records and a discription of the man but no actual photo of him.

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 February 22 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Many prison photo collections are held in local/county archives and not available online.

Not every prisoner was photographed.
The famous Irishman, Oscar Wilde jailed 1895 has no mugshot from his time in prison.

On a vist to Berks Archives in Reading they showed a large collection of prisoner photos from Reading Gaol in that period - they said the page with Oscar Wilde on it had sadly "disappeared" many years ago.