Author Topic: Boughton House, Bransford Road, Worcester -who lived there ?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boughton House, Bransford Road, Worcester -who lived there ?
« on: Friday 22 October 21 16:47 BST (UK) »
This is perhaps a long shot, hoping someone can find information for me on who owned Boughton House prior to and in 1927, but I know the folks on here are so knowledgeable.
I know that Boughton House is now owned by the Worcester Golf and Country Club, bought in 1927.
In my husband's family is John Samuel Cook, JP, Alderman, High Sheriff, Chief Magistrate, to name but a few of his titles, who died in 1927.    In his Will he says :  To my wife Louisa for free use and enjoyment for her life, my private residence Boughton House.   Elsewhere he says the house should be valued and offered for sale if she does not wish to live there.   So it would appear he owns Boughton House, and not just renting.   However the Golf Club have a leaflet giving the history of the house and it says the house was bought from the Isaac family, no mention of JSC.   I have tried to find information from someone at Worcester Records Office and the Hive but not getting anywhere.   What records do you think must be available giving the name of the owner at this time ?  I understand he certainly lived there from 1922, though do not know when he first took up residence.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boughton House, Bransford Road, Worcester -who lived there ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 October 21 17:07 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 October 21 04:24 BST (UK) »
There is a poem published in 1896 written by John Samuel COOK on his being proposed for a Freemason. Happy to send it to you if you haven't seen it.
   Saturday,  Sept. 19, 1896, Worcestershire Chronicle

Can't see any advertisements for the sale of the property after 1927.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 October 21 10:40 BST (UK) »
Shaun J.   I have that information. But it doesn't answer my question.  What would the significance  be if it was leasehold regarding JSC owning the property ?

Maddys52.    I did have that newspaper article with the poem, but just checking, I cannot find it, so would be grateful if you would send it.     JSC died in 1927, the Golf club bought the property in 1927, so I think that is significant.   He made his Will in 1924.   I wonder if an agreement was made - in the intervening years  -  to sell Broughton House privately, once he had died, to the Golf Club (and the Freemasons relationships might have featured in that).  Just speculating !    I find it odd that no mention is made of JSC in the history of the house by the Golf club, especially as he appears to have been such a prominent public figure in Worcester.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 October 21 11:06 BST (UK) »
You are assuming that JSC owned the freehold. The evidence (such as it is) suggests that the property was the subject of a lease. Perhaps he purchased the leasehold.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 October 21 02:28 BST (UK) »
Here's the poem  :):
Saturday,  Sept. 19, 1896, Worcestershire Chronicle

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 October 21 10:35 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Electoral Register, there is a John Samuel Cook in 1924-6 living at 2 School Road, Worcester, with his wife, Louisa.

I am not sure if I should give any further in formation because it is still a private residence.  Have a look at Google Street View. The name will be familiar

David

P.S. see - https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/photos/item/IOE01/13096/21

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 October 21 10:43 BST (UK) »
2 School Road does have very similar name https://tinyurl.com/yenpd8u2

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 October 21 10:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry Shaun, I added a similar note whilst you were posting.

David