Author Topic: Obituary Lookup Please  (Read 319 times)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary Lookup Please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 October 21 07:29 BST (UK) »
They would be. I only use free sites if I can get away with it.
But will go back to Newspapers and see what I can find.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Member
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 October 21 14:58 BST (UK) »
YKS Gazette of 31 March 1849 lists the appointments of Overseers of the Poor at the Gisbro’ petty session. includes “Skinningrove, Anthony MAYNARD and Roger STONEHOUSE”.
Same session appointed constables for the coming year which included “Skinningrove, Roger STONEHOUSE”.

York Herald 29 Mar 1845 lists Assessors of Assessed Taxes - includes “Skinningrove, Robt. TAYLOR and Roger STONEHOUSE”.

However both of the above could be referring to the Roger STONEHOUSE whose death is reported in the York Herald of 16 Nov 1892. Said to have died on 13th at Skinningrove  aged 92.

The younger Roger STONEHOUSE is presumably the one mentioned in the York Herald of 11 Feb 1843 about the “The Wreck of the Thomas, Of Shields, and the fortunate escape of the crew”
Wrecked on 4th inst on the coast near Skinningrove.
“The inhabitants of Loftus , Skinningrove, and Brotton, and the officers of the coast-guard service, stationed here, rendered every assistance on this humane occasion, particularly Mr. Roger STONEHOUSE jun., of Skinningrove, who well may be called the Neptune of this coast.”

In YKS Gazette of 28 Sep 1861 it says the Emperor of France has awarded two silver medals and diplomas to William STEBBINGS, coast guard boatman, and to Wm. STONEHOUSE , described as a proprietaire, at Skinningrove, as a reward for assistance rendered by them to the French merchant vessel, Theodore of Dieppe, when cast upon the coast of Yorkshire.
A later item corrected the name to Roger STONEHOUSE [not William]. Seems all the crew were lost apart from the captain.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 October 21 20:45 BST (UK) »
Spelk this is amazing. Thank you so much. I have quite a few Roger Stonehouse's but I can see clearly where these tidbits belong.
They are much appreciated.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.