Author Topic: Cause of death - any advice from medical types please?  (Read 494 times)

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Cause of death - any advice from medical types please?
« on: Saturday 23 October 21 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, my gggfr Joseph William Bazalgette RN died in 1849 of "ulceration of mucous membranes causing atrophy'.  I have asked a few doctors what this was likely to be but nobody was too sure.  Mucous membranes of the throat or bowel presumably.  Perhaps an unrecognised cancer?   

Has anyone any ideas or has seen a C.O.D. like this which was more specific or could give a clue please?

TIA
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of death - any advice from medical types please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 21 01:32 BST (UK) »
A lot of medical terms were different in those days so it’s not surprising that doctors won’t be able to answer your question with certainty.

The cause of death was probably the attending physician’s best educated guess, and was unlikely to be questioned by anyone.

I have no medical knowledge whatsoever but I would favour that this might relate to his throat, as that might be easier to diagnose than a bowel issue.

I wonder if his address at death and the qualifications of the physician might shed more light on his death?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of death - any advice from medical types please?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 October 21 04:11 BST (UK) »
The thing that came to my mind on reading that was Pemphigus.  Eg

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/pemphigus-vulgaris