Author Topic: Shall we be able to spend Christmas with our families?  (Read 4986 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shall we be able to spend Christmas with our families?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 October 21 18:58 BST (UK) »
Not seen one son since Christmas 2018.
We phone but not the same is it.
Was hoping to see latest great grandchild ,due to arrive on Nov 2nd.
But safety first.
I should say great grand daughter ,,it is known the baby is a girl.

I was supposed to travel tomorrow ,but have cancelled ,the invalid I was to visit has carers attending and one has tested positive,so no sense going.
Grand daughter due to come on her Birthday,30. th,
Not sure about that now either.

People are genuinely confused , one thing seems to laugh at another.
Not making plans for Christmas ,was,by choice , alone last year - perhaps that will be best this year too.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 October 21 23:49 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, it’s all so dismal… and there’s our daughter being so organised this year already for Christmas with ordering the Turkey, booked her shopping delivery for 22nd Dec… we’re supposed to be going to stay from 23-26th…
She’s bought tickets for the whole family to see the lights at Kew on the 19th December…
Her husbands family are coming over from Switzerland on Boxing Day to stay…all these plans…. are they all going to be for nothing..
We’ve organised a Christmas Fayre in the village to raise money for Afghan refugee families in Northamptonshire for Dec 4th…
Plans to go to Good Food show, Country Living Fair… the thought of all those enjoyable events being put in jeopardy while the government bumble around makes my blood boil!
I’ve heard it said they’re waiting until Cop26 is over and done with and we’ve had thousands of people flying in from all over the world …. Mind you with our soaring rates who’d want to come to the UK…

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 October 21 21:43 BST (UK) »
we're just back in Ireland after four days in the Birmingham area, visiting our daughter.

The boat was grand, the train through Wales was fine, nearly everyone wearing masks.
But England - just 10% - 30% masks on the trains - we were sort of horrified to see it, even though we'd heard it was a bit of a free-fo-all.

(admittedly our cases are going up too, but most people wear masks here indoors and on transport, so we hope we'll get back on track.)
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 03:36 BST (UK) »
As long as we are all safe and well, does it really matter?   :-X

Yes it does as it all depends on circumstances i.e. want & need.

I have a sibling aged 55 yrs who's terminal, lives a 3+ hrs drive away (in good daylight weather & no road works) so yes it does matter...a lot (to me & our families) as time is running out fast  :'(

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 04:36 BST (UK) »
You can spend Christmas with your family if you choose to.

Not if they live in Western Australia :-X

They have jailed some people who crossed the border "illegally", to watch the AFL Grand Final.

They also have NO intention of letting ANYONE into the state until sometime next year :P

There goes the tourist trade ::)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
I am going to sound pompous probably ,whilst seeing individual people’s needs and natural longings for family especially when there are grave circumstances ,I try to think of the greater picture..
My daughter had carefully thought out a plan fir Christmas whereby we ( she and her two brothers and myself ) would at least all see each other all together .This has not happened since  my husband died 2014.
However we have had to open our minds to the changing rates of infection and that it will most probably not be possible and maybe will never be again.

After years of three generation for  50+ years all round  my table on Christmas Day that thought is painful.
However, if it keeps us all safe ,especially the young ones it has to be.
I may never see my newest great grandchild, due November 2 nd  nor the super little boy who is Flash Harry again.
I see my first son now and again when he is well enough to drive from
Bolton .
My son in Berkshire not for almost three years I think, ,my daughter in Suffolk and my grandchildren and g grandson in Suffolk ,I saw this Summer.
I have this week cancelled a visit to see the 93 year old daughter of the very kind people with whom I lived for a time when an evacuee.
She was like a big sister / mother to me and means more then my own
 sister .She too is failing fast , there can’t be much time .
But if it has to be we will keep apart , limit contacts ,make things as easy for her son,now her main carer twenty four hours a day week in week out.

I am not minimising others’ natural longings especially when time is of  the  essence but some people are being very lax and seem to get away with it but the  conscientious  self denying ones pay a price ,not seeing family and not visiting terminally ill relatives in efforts to keep infection numbers down so it hurts when we see others gadding about .
How important is a football match by comparison with Rosinish’s situation?
A line has to be drawn somewhere and I too think we have to see the safety of the greater number but boy it inflames me when  I  see crowds at non essential events , when others are trying so hard ,missing out on family things in the hope they are helping us all to get on top of this pandemic.
The advice has been “ woolly “ from the start, “ fuzzies “ is the term used at lectures when things are not clear ,not easy to grasp and  open to misinterpretation .
Why are we such a fuzzy nation?
Someone have some backbone and be dictatorial for once!
We all know people, groups , who are not being fair whilst we are trying our best.
It hurts, rankles and downright annoys,  but we won’t improve things if we join them .
Easy  said, it hurts that I may miss seeing my friend again, it hurts that I might never see my  two far  away children ,grandchildren and great grandchildren ,but if they are safe that is the most important thing.

I had not seen my father for two years ,living abroad  and  family circumstances ,when he died,.
What guilt that gives me, it really hurts.
Nothing I can do now nor sadly at the time ,we were going to visit four days after he suddenly died ,was  only in hospital a day.
So I can  see  both points of view .
Every day you see people not adhering to given advice .
Recently the hand gel and stuff for sanitising has become not so “ in your face”  ,I had to look for it at Morrison’s on Saturday, someone had left a trolley right in front of it! - there was a sort of security guard standing close by too!
Off my soapbox now, and hope Rosinish is able to see her sibling ,that you all keep safe and well and if in similar circumstances to Rosinish you too can
visit .
Viktoria.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 10:47 BST (UK) »
Our neighbours (retired husband and wife), who live in the bungalow opposite us (Highlands of Norfolk) are having their son and wife and two pre-teen children (who live on the England/Scotland border) over for Christmas. Although they have been skypeing on a regular basis, they have not seen each other physically since early Summer 2019. 

Everything has been planned with almost military precision. The two households are going into quarantine for two weeks before the visit. The son will be bringing their family caravan with them for sleeping. We are their first contact for shopping and medical and have arraigned a set of signal tea-towels for anything else.
All things being equal, the two bubbles will join together on Christmas Eve for about 10 days. 

Regards 

Chas 
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 20:59 BST (UK) »
Scientists have been on UK TV issuing several warnings in the last week, one suggesting that vaccination alone can't be relied upon to produce low infection numbers.

UK
"Data on all COVID-19 cases, hospitalisation and deaths by age and vaccination status are now published weekly in PHE's Vaccine Surveillance ... "
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccine-weekly-surveillance-reports

Latest is week 42
"Table 4. COVID-19 deaths (a) within 28 days and (b) within 60 days of positive specimen or with COVID-19 reported on death certificate, by vaccination status between week 38 and week 41 2021"
 ----------
When I go shopping some are listening and taking simple worthwhile precautions, but others seem tired of it and not listening.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 October 21 16:59 BST (UK) »
Professor Paul Hunter has just been on the BBC and seems cautiously more optimistic about infection numbers than the Scientists last week.

So we'll see what actually happens in due course.