Author Topic: The Scottish Catholic Archives - How to search them?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Champman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Scottish Catholic Archives - How to search them?
« on: Sunday 24 October 21 18:09 BST (UK) »
Attached is a birth/baptism search extract taken from another family tree on Ancestry.
I would like to search these but do not know how to.
Any help and links would be much appreciated.

copyright image removed

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Scottish Catholic Archives - How to search them?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 21 18:24 BST (UK) »
The official website for all Scottish birth, marriages and deaths plus census is :-

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

This website had all the details of the Catholic ceremonies in my tree,  plus the one you listed is also on this website.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 October 21 18:27 BST (UK) »
You will find them on ScotlandsPeople:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

You register and it allows you to search the indexes and see a range of Scottish records. To see and download the actual entry in the register costs 6 credits (£1.50). I clicked on "Advanced People Search", then "Church Registers", "Births and Baptisms", then clicked on "Roman Catholic" in the choice of churches, entered "Agnes Priestley" and 1853, but nothing came up. I then clicked the "Fuzzy" option beside Priestley, which brings up alternative spellings. There she was. The details visible, without paying to see the original record, were parents' names, date of birth and baptism and the name of the church (All as in your attachment). Obviously looking at the original entry might give you the names of witnesses, the father's occupation, family residence etc.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 October 21 19:31 BST (UK) »
The other thing to note when using SP is that you can use the symbol * as a wildcard. Often helpful with all the spelling variations you find.

Searching this family with the parents' names you have, there looks to be at least 10 entries for their children. I searched for:

RC Baptisms (as explained by GR)

Surname pr*st*l*

Dates 1835 - 1865.

Father shows as either Patrick or Peter (a common first name variant), Latin versions of this as does Margaret. Numerous spellings for her surname.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Champman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 October 21 01:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rena, GR2 and MonicaL. 
I followed your instructions and was successful. The 1851 Census records shows that the bride and groom were born in Ireland.
Searching Catholic marriages I have now identified the marriage of Agnes's parents Peter/Patrick Priestley and Margaret Loan/Loane in the RC Church in Newton Stewart 26 November 1835.

The three images below are the Parish Records of the marriage.  They appear to identify both sets of parents but are written in Latin so I am unsure who is who - parents or witnesses.

Any help translating would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 October 21 01:30 BST (UK) »
First image.
Marriage was by banns. (I couldn't see/read beginning of top line.)
Patrick Priestley son of Thaddeus Priestley & Alice Horan
Margaret Loane daughter of Jacobus (James) Loane & Catherine Corron
Both living in the parish (I can't translate first word on last line. It looks like "_ectoriensi"; I can't make out first letter.)
Witnesses Edward Loane, Hannah Maccaffrey
Married by Richard Sinnott

Thaddeus may have been a Latin version of Timothy or Thomas or he may have been called Thady or similar.
Corron surname might turn up in other records as Curran or even Kirwin.
Horan was one of the commonest surnames in my grandad's Mayo parish.

It's beautiful handwriting.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 October 21 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Second extract. Is it a separate document or is it part of the first? Having read it, it seems to me it belongs at the start of extract 1 and may explain why I couldn't see beginning of first extract.
Most of the words are place and date.
At Newton Stewart , twenty sixth day of month of November, year eighteenth hundred & thirty fifth
Final 3 words are facta primis solon. Ending of "solon" might be missing or the ending may be the first letters on top line of extract 1. It makes more sense to me if it belongs to extract 1. Latin word solor may translate as "relieve or ease". If I'm correct, the last 3 words of extract 2 and the first few words of extract 1 are about easing the usual requirement to have banns published on 3 Sundays. In other words a dispensation of banns. Newton Stewart probably didn't have a resident priest in 1835 and there may not have been regular Sunday masses and therefore few opportunities to read banns.

By the way, RootsChat has strict rules regarding copyright. The image in your opening post is from Ancestry and is copyright. Information about copyright can be found via "Help" tab.   
Cowban

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 October 21 05:07 GMT (UK) »
The second extract is the beginning of the first - perhaps the end of one page. The word that is split is solemni: facta prius solemni bannorum denuntiatione (the solemn publication of banns having been previously made).

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 October 21 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks GR2 for confirming my conclusion that extract 2 should be extract 1. It makes perfect sense now. I incorrectly deciphered "prius" as primis and letters e and m in "solemni" as o and n.
Can you read the word on the last line of extract 1 before "habitantes"?
Cowban