Author Topic: Spooky moment  (Read 1289 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Spooky moment
« on: Sunday 24 October 21 22:16 BST (UK) »
I've just been fiddling about - as you do - on my A**y tree with my Barlow family in the very East End of London in the mid 19th century. 

They have featured here previously with several searches by kind RC helpers, and set about being complex by not necessarily either marrying or registering the births of their children, and managing to be on bits of the census which are lost even though I know where they must have been, by baptism records.

Anyway, I finally decided tonight that the Mary Ann Ruth Barlow, born 16th August 1846 in Whitechapel MUST be my great grandmother Mary Ann Barlow, or at least I should say that they were strong contenders for being the same person, given all the other clues I'd managed to find, even though my great grandmother said she'd been born in 1850, without any documentary evidence to prove it.

So I thought I'd merge them on the tree, with suitable warning notes.

And I looked again at Mary Ann Ruth's birth certificate (yes, she actually had one) and her place of birth at 31 Wentworth Street, Whitechapel, and I thought I'd look at Google StreetView to see what the road looks like today - although many of the streets where my family lived in the East End were bombed and rebuilt after WWII.

And the view was very familiar - which is because when my son and I walked round the East End in August 2020 (when you were first allowed to venture out), we had explored all round Tower Bridge and looked at the towers of The City from the rather poorer bits of Limehouse, Shadwell and Whitechapel. 

I had taken a picture of the gleaming towers - shown below.

And where had I been standing to take it - completelyl unknowing?  Outside 31 Wentworth Street.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spooky moment
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 21 22:19 BST (UK) »
PS

I know that doesn't prove anything, and in any case the numbering may well have changed.....but spooky, hey?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 October 21 22:48 BST (UK) »
Very spooky indeed IgorStrav!  Itís almost like she was trying to lead you to her.  I think Mary will always be one of your favourite ancestors because of this  :)
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 October 21 16:32 BST (UK) »
Wish some of my(Irish) ancestors would haunt me with a clue to where they are/were.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 11:31 BST (UK) »
Yes very spooky but a revelation for you and amazing one indeed.

Many years ago I was in Kirkwall, Orkney Islands looking for the address my grandmother, her parents and siblings had lived at during WW1. Up and down the street until we were about to give up. I turned and looked towards St Magnus Cathedral to get our bearings and suddenly had the thought look to your left and there it was with the name high up on the side of the building which we had obviously missed before. Astounded to say the least.

Were we being pointed in the right direction like you IgorStrav? Who knows but I like to think so.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
All good sense says of course you aren't being pointed in the right direction, Dorrie - but it's always spooky.....

My son, with me when taking the photograph, was very spooked indeed at the news.

I think his (WhatsApp) reply to my message was "WHOAH"  ;)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 14:27 BST (UK) »
I love a good spooky story!

A few years ago my husband & I were visiting his family in Longton Stoke on Trent & we went to look at the Old Longton Town Hall building & had a look around the area. Suddenly I felt dizzy, shivery & had that feeling of 'someone walking over my grave' so sat down for a while. This was very odd as it was summer & a very warm day. A year later I was researching my Irish branch of the family from County Down, who as it happens came over in the 1870's to live in Longton. My Great, Great Grandmother passed away at the early age of 36 & when I received her death certificate, we tried looking for the street were she had lived & eventually found it on an old map. We discovered the very spot were I had had 'the shivers' was where this street had once been. Not only that my husbands ancestors had lived three streets away at the time. Given that most of my family for generations have lived in Wales as I have, where my husband & I destined to meet up!

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 19:51 BST (UK) »
I love it, isn't it wonderful when that happens ? . I hope you said thank you  ;D.

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 21:26 BST (UK) »
This was kind of spooky or quite the coincidence.

My grandfather was born on Isledon Road Islington.   
I had his birth certificate and as this before computers and being in Canada I used the Genealogical Research Directory (GRD) and wrote loads of letters to people who were tracing surnames the same as the ones I was tracing in the same area.

I wrote to this lady in London and said I was researching the surname Carroll and the particulars.
She replied and inside was a photo of the building my grandfather was born in.  She wrote that she was not related but she lived on the next street, 11 houses from where my grandfather was born and she found that remarkable considering the size of London.

I